Nudism Impact on Sexuality

I would like to hear how nudism has impacted your sexuality, if at all. When sex is stripped away from nudity, do you become less sexual in general? Do you lose taste for fetishes, particularly relating to certain body parts when you see them all the time in so many different forms? I understand there is a healthy amount of policing of nudist norms but does that pressure and/or internalization suppress desires? If so, do you find this good or bad?

Obviously not advocating for sexual behavior while enjoying nudism in general. I've not engaged in social nudity (yet) so I am curious.

This topic was edited
RE:Nudism Impact on Sexuality

I don't think nudism has had much impact on sexuality, except that it breaks down some barriers to one's attitude on seeing other nude people. If anything, society fetishizes nudity, so that the only time we see it is when it's intended to sexualize. But being around a lot of naked people is not a stimulus for sexuality per se. It's all about the context.

What interests me more is sexuality's impact on nudism. And that influence is pretty much negative. Before children hit puberty, nudity usually isn't an issue at all, unless the kids have been exposed to some variety of body shaming. "All children are born nudists," the saying goes, and it's pretty much true. But once the hormones kick in, a host of other sentiments come into play regarding the comparison of their bodies to some idealized concept of a sexy body, as portrayed by the media. When a child goes through puberty under the guidance of older nudists who can steer them through this quagmire, they almost always emerge with a better grasp of the limits of sexuality in a nudist environment, because they've already divorced nudity from sexuality in their everyday encounters. Which is all the more reason for parents, and for other adults who associate with teenagers, to give them the right message and treat the children as respected human beings.

This post was edited

It's all about the context.

It really is all about context. And behavior.

My sex life is pretty much unchanged by nudism. As I imagine much of the nudist population. My wife and I are nude around each other daily; yet unless one of us make a "suggestive move", it remains non-sexual. Most nudists - at least socially - refrain from "suggestive moves" so it's not that difficult to see them "non-sexually."

As far as "repressing desires", I don't think it's necessarily unhealthy. I have a rather short fuse. If I went around "snapping at people" and kicking them in the head I'd have a long history of jail sentences. Although one could argue that in a nudist setting it is unnecessary to repress desires, because they are not usually "ignited" in the first place. Unless someone behaves in a sexual way (which is open to interpretation and another topic.)

This post was edited

Good to hear it doesn't seem to have diminished your sex life. Of course sexual desires need suppression, nudity or not!

This post was edited

I suppose its important to remind ourselves that every naturist is unique so there are probably as many answers to the questions raised as there are naturists.

Naturism can be hard to define. For me a naturist is simply someone who likes to be unnecessarily naked. Others have all kinds of fancy notions and can be overly vocal about what is or isnt genuine naturism etc.

And sometimes I feel that nudists go too far in their efforts to distance naturism from sex. Im not suggesting that naturists are swingers - just that balance isnt always present in online discussions. Real life naturists are always more easygoing and more sane and respectful than online keyboard warriors!!! And sometimes we get daft pronouncements denouncing even the mildest displays of affection or freaking at the idea of a healthy male having an erection etc. These online prudists are doing harm and particularly repelling the younger generations who are more likely to fall foul of their trigger-happy disapproval.

I reckon naturists probably have more and better sex. But thats to do with their openmindedness and relative freedom from body-shame rather than any sexual motivation for being naturists.

This post was edited

As for me, it has enhances our sexuality. When you are always nude around the house and yard, there seems to be more touching because everything is so handy. And guys are generally visually excitable. She can only bend over so many times in the yard till I have to do something

This post was edited

The first mistake I believe people make is to separate sexuality from nudism. The second is to separate sexuality from people.
Sexuality is about being vital human beings. Sexuality is just as much about seeing a tulip burst open or tasting a wonderful sauce or wine as about fondling genitals. Sexuality is not an "either or" question but a "yes and" one.
Sexuality is NEVER a problem, it's choices of expressing sexuality or affection which can be inappropriate for a given context. Norms from determined institutions have traditionally defined such contexts, such as the Church speaking against intercourse outside of marriage. Now they are being complimented by practices such as rigorous consent communication in hopes of honoring people's intents and emotions. I see traditional and more contemporary sexual norms related to genitals as having strengths and weaknesses. Aside from their dynamics, the problem is not too much sexuality. The problem is that we recognize too little!
So wake up and smell the coffee, with senses aroused including or not including "morning wood." Don't relate sexual relationships to begging any pardon or promises of rose gardens, claim life as a rose garden, here and now, all the time, imperfect as all rose gardens have thorns, but filled with beauty, life, light and truth nonetheless.
What is nudism's impact on sexuality? I believe it makes us more authentic and vital as sexual humans with a thousand shades of color and different paintbrush strokes to express them. Some may include genitals and most will not. It's all sexual - owning the power of co-creating with our Maker - and it's all good.

This post was edited

The first mistake I believe people make is to separate sexuality from nudism. The second is to separate sexuality from people.Sexuality is about being vital human beings. Sexuality is just as much about seeing a tulip burst open or tasting a wonderful sauce or wine as about fondling genitals. Sexuality is not an "either or" question but a "yes and" one.Sexuality is NEVER a problem, it's choices of expressing sexuality or affection which can be inappropriate for a given context. Norms from determined institutions have traditionally defined such contexts, such as the Church speaking against intercourse outside of marriage. Now they are being complimented by practices such as rigorous consent communication in hopes of honoring people's intents and emotions. I see traditional and more contemporary sexual norms related to genitals as having strengths and weaknesses. Aside from their dynamics, the problem is not too much sexuality. The problem is that we recognize too little!So wake up and smell the coffee, with senses aroused including or not including "morning wood." Don't relate sexual relationships to begging any pardon or promises of rose gardens, claim life as a rose garden, here and now, all the time, imperfect as all rose gardens have thorns, but filled with beauty, life, light and truth nonetheless.What is nudism's impact on sexuality? I believe it makes us more authentic and vital as sexual humans with a thousand shades of color and different paintbrush strokes to express them. Some may include genitals and most will not. It's all sexual - owning the power of co-creating with our Maker - and it's all good.

Quite simply the best post / reply Ive ever read onTN!

This post was edited

I had a very open, happy, nudist upbringing. It was relaxed and caring, and I saw both sexes nude at all ages. I think it made me relaxed and open and it is my strong feeling that it influenced my feelings about bisexuality.

I'd suggest that bisexuality is the more natural and normal state and that it is tabooos and stigma that can suppress it.

I am happy to expand on this but I'd be keen to hear what others think.

This post was edited

I would like to hear how nudism has impacted your sexuality, if at all. When sex is stripped away from nudity, do you become less sexual in general? Do you lose taste for fetishes, particularly relating to certain body parts when you see them all the time in so many different forms? I understand there is a healthy amount of policing of nudist norms but does that pressure and/or internalization suppress desires? If so, do you find this good or bad?Obviously not advocating for sexual behavior while enjoying nudism in general. I've not engaged in social nudity (yet) so I am curious.

Personally, naturism/nudity has not impacted on my sexuality, I am still the same person naked or clothed ! The biggest thing I find is using common sense when in the naturist environment, which true and real naturists do.

If you think about it, sex and sexuality (which are both part of every single person on this planet), actually doesn't make a blind bit of difference in reality, it's other peoples ideas of what they perceive people are about, without actually knowing that person as a human being and an individual, preconceived ideals.

My being gay has nothing at all to do with me loving being naked, alone or with others, simple common decency should be practiced. We all know what we are not supposed to do, so what's wrong with just following that basic ideal ?

If you take fundamental things like sexuality and sex out of any given situation (person), you are not the being your true self, are you ?

No one can deny that we all look at others when on a naturist beach or resort, it's human nature to look, yes we can see the whole person or parts of their body that excite us, I look at naked men (obviously), but I don't suddenly get erect or spank the monkey because I like what I see, to me that person is just naked at the same place as me, I remain the same person I am, just another naked guy.

I fully accept that anyone new to naturism, men in particular have the problem of getting erections, that is perfectly normal, after a few weeks, that simply goes away because you become accustomed to seeing others naked, it's doesn't become about sex or sexuality, it's just another naked person, the norm. The sexual side of being human wanes as you spend more time with other naked people

Naturism is about being free, free of clothes, free of expectations, being free and naked in nature, nothing more.

Whatever sexuality or sex you are, should never impact on you or others for being naturists, just accept each other, let each and every person be themselves, just see them for their naked beauty.

As the OP says on his first post, I am not advocating anything at all here, just giving my view on his question.

This post was edited

I would like to hear how nudism has impacted your sexuality, if at all. When sex is stripped away from nudity, do you become less sexual in general? Do you lose taste for fetishes, particularly relating to certain body parts when you see them all the time in so many different forms? I understand there is a healthy amount of policing of nudist norms but does that pressure and/or internalization suppress desires? If so, do you find this good or bad?Obviously not advocating for sexual behavior while enjoying nudism in general. I've not engaged in social nudity (yet) so I am curious.Personally, naturism/nudity has not impacted on my sexuality, I am still the same person naked or clothed ! The biggest thing I find is using common sense when in the naturist environment, which true and real naturists do.If you think about it, sex and sexuality (which are both part of every single person on this planet), actually doesn't make a blind bit of difference in reality, it's other peoples ideas of what they perceive people are about, without actually knowing that person as a human being and an individual, preconceived ideals.My being gay has nothing at all to do with me loving being naked, alone or with others, simple common decency should be practiced. We all know what we are not supposed to do, so what's wrong with just following that basic ideal ?If you take fundamental things like sexuality and sex out of any given situation (person), you are not the being your true self, are you ?No one can deny that we all look at others when on a naturist beach or resort, it's human nature to look, yes we can see the whole person or parts of their body that excite us, I look at naked men (obviously), but I don't suddenly get erect or spank the monkey because I like what I see, to me that person is just naked at the same place as me, I remain the same person I am, just another naked guy.I fully accept that anyone new to naturism, men in particular have the problem of getting erections, that is perfectly normal, after a few weeks, that simply goes away because you become accustomed to seeing others naked, it's doesn't become about sex or sexuality, it's just another naked person, the norm. The sexual side of being human wanes as you spend more time with other naked peopleNaturism is about being free, free of clothes, free of expectations, being free and naked in nature, nothing more.Whatever sexuality or sex you are, should never impact on you or others for being naturists, just accept each other, let each and every person be themselves, just see them for their naked beauty.As the OP says on his first post, I am not advocating anything at all here, just giving my view on his question.
So much wisdom in your words Bravobr.

For me naturism is at its most natural and can be most richly fulfilling when peoples feelings and their sexuality can be as revealed as their naked bodies. when they can be themselves without any traces of the various manifestations of shame and bigotry that have harmed so many good people.

The truth is that for all our different body features, backgrounds and sexual orientations etc we are all the same. And real-life naturists tend to have an openminded, respectful attitude that CELEBRATES rather than patronisingly tolerates diversity.

So perhaps naturisms most beautiful influence on our sexuality is to emancipate it for us and for every naturist with whom we have the honour to share nude time. In this it might even contribute to bringing peace to people in relation to their own sexuality and everyone elses. And when people are at peace with their own sexuality they no longer need the labels that are so often used to divide and they no longer need to fear or hate anyone else.

This post was edited

This site is only available to users 18 and over and we use cookies

We use cookies for functionality, social media, and google analytics. To view our cookie policy please view Our Cookie Policy