A modest legal proposal

Anyone who has been around these forums and groups for a while knows that there are a wide range of laws and regulations regarding nudity in various locations and that many of us may just occasionally be in slight violation of those legislative mandates. In a lot of cases we can do that without meeting others or, if occasionally we do, they often accept that and we all move on.

Meanwhile, there few places where universal nudity is accepted and that is unlikely to change anytime soon.

My local legislation says not to show the genitals or anus in a public place or anywhere visible from a public place. So I could legally tan naked in my back yard even if my neighbour has a view, while I cannot do the same on my from lawn as I don't have a fence. My neighbour may or may not be happy about what I do in my backyard but the Law is not concerned at that point. We can discuss it, if it comes to that. Yet I can be in a place where almost no one can be seen for miles around (until they come over that rise) and still be legally restricted.

I'd be happy if it law was kept as it is, except for those areas that are less busy. My suggestion:

Nudity is permitted where there is no visible habitable structure (home, business) within 400m/0.25 miles.
Is there a better compromise? I'd love to hear some thoughts!

This topic was edited
RE:A modest legal proposal

Anyone who has been around these forums and groups for a while knows that there are a wide range of laws and regulations regarding nudity in various locations and that many of us may just occasionally be in slight violation of those legislative mandates. In a lot of cases we can do that without meeting others or, if occasionally we do, they often accept that and we all move on.Meanwhile, there few places where universal nudity is accepted and that is unlikely to change anytime soon.My local legislation says not to show the genitals or anus in a public place or anywhere visible from a public place. So I could legally tan naked in my back yard even if my neighbour has a view, while I cannot do the same on my from lawn as I don't have a fence. My neighbour may or may not be happy about what I do in my backyard but the Law is not concerned at that point. We can discuss it, if it comes to that. Yet I can be in a place where almost no one can be seen for miles around (until they come over that rise) and still be legally restricted.I'd be happy if it law was kept as it is, except for those areas that are less busy. My suggestion:Nudity is permitted where there is no visible habitable structure (home, business) within 400m/0.25 miles.Is there a better compromise? I'd love to hear some thoughts!

What about within view of a busy rural highway?

This post was edited

By minimalist75:

What about within view of a busy rural highway?

Good point. That didn't come into my mind at the time I was thinking this, as I was on a quiet beach considering nearby fences containing cattle, a windmill serving a drinking trough, a nearby lookout point and the expanse of water before me where fishermen sometimes go. Habitable buildings seems a good starting point

I didn't want to exclude walking trails, but then there's all types of roads from foot trails to motorways. Baring all on a pedestrian overpass over a busy freeway is different to an quiet country road with no residences or a railtrail. Perhaps include visible national and state highways?

This post was edited

Of course, I would go with most of Oregon, Vermont, and (all of?) Kansas -- where nudity is not illegal. Actually, it would be even better to have nudity declared an inalienable right. In my dreams.

Failing that, instead of habitable building, a location not within sight more than x number of people per day averaged over the previous 7 days. That's probably too complicated and would be difficult to prove exactly how many people were within sight of your location -- but the point is, if it's a low traffic area, then your good. Age, sex, race, skin color, sexual history, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, etc. of nude person and possible observers are all totally irrelevant. "Yes, but the person was a 10-year-old virgin* from Pakistan where nudity is culturally/religiously unacceptable." "Not my problem."

*Virgins are ALWAYS female -- males are not virgins; males are celibate.

This post was edited

California doesnt have a law against nudity at the state level either. The indecent exposure law require nudity AND intentional exposure AND lewd act. However, that doesnt mean if someone wanted to stop you they might not try and get you on disorderly conduct or something even though those do not apply to simple nudity.

This post was edited

Kansas also lacks a state-wide anti-nudity law.California doesnt have a law against nudity at the state level either. The indecent exposure law require nudity AND intentional exposure AND lewd act. However, that doesnt mean if someone wanted to stop you they might not try and get you on disorderly conduct or something even though those do not apply to simple nudity.But in Kansas, nudity is not socially acceptable. If you're merely nude, someone is very likely to report you. The most likely outcome is that the police will leave you alone, But with a social climate strongly opposed to nudity, it's not a good place to be nude.

California's social climate towards nudity is somewhat better, but, for the most part, not a great place to be nude.

This post was edited

Entropy Boy* (BlgDudeMan) strikes again.

*Virgins are ALWAYS female -- males are not virgins; males are celibate.This statement is nonsense, a made up fact by the poster or just ignorance.Both words have different meanings and neither are gender specific.
* Believes entropy is a super power.

This post was edited

According to Merriam Webster Dictionary
A virgin is a person who has not yet had sexual intercourse.
A celibate is a person who is not engaging in sexual intercourse.

Both male and female persons as well as animals can be virgins and celibates could have lost their virginity and then turned to a life without sexual intercourse. A celibate too can be either male or female.

The term virgin can also refer to a person who has not yet engaged in an activity. A virgin nudist could be one who has yet to enjoy a nudist resort.

This post was edited

Exactly.I heard a similar story about a woman who complained that she could see her neighbor who complained that her neighbor would swim and sun nude in his yard, When the police arrived they questioned how she knew that when he had a high privacy fence. She replied that when she stood on the picnic table she could see him.Heard that one, too.

Put your binoculars away.

This post was edited

Those are recent changes to the definitions of those words. Language either changes or dies. The complaint only comes when those changes are based on lack of knowledge or the inability to learn.According to Merriam Webster DictionaryA virgin is a person who has not yet had sexual intercourse.A celibate is a person who is not engaging in sexual intercourse.Both male and female persons as well as animals can be virgins and celibates could have lost their virginity and then turned to a life without sexual intercourse. A celibate too can be either male or female.

This post was edited

Privacy in your own home??? Tell that to City Code Enforcement with their binoculars looking for err umm code violations lol!

This post was edited