Undressing: it should be simple, but is it?

I was reading a thread (on another MB) that dealt with the act of undressing. Some people stated that it is one of their favorite parts of "entering the nudist world." It marks the "transition" from the "textile world" to the "nudist world"; and for some, there is even some enjoyment derived from seeing other people seeing them join in. Myself, when it comes to disrobing, it does not matter who is around; it is not something I consider a "private act." At the nude beach, I have disrobed around many people without thinking much about it.

And then I thought: "My wife feels very differently about it."

I have asked her about it, and her response has been a jumble of mixed emotions. But after peeling away at the layers, I was able to determine several causes.

First, it makes her feel as though she is "putting on a show." I can understand that. I've seen women arrive at the nude beach fully dressed; and then go through the rigmarole of "slithering" out of tight jeans or shorts, "wrestling" with unclasping their bra, and then "tug away" at their undies to get them off. By the end of it, they've got a "captive audience" of men attentively watching the whole thing transpire. For a newbie or a shy person, this is probably not the best way to remain inconspicuous. I call it the "striptease effect." My wife's method for avoiding this is to wear a strapless onesie, and after checking in, she goes back to the car; and with a simple tug, her onesie is off and she's naked. Our friends are usually already there, and she can join them already naked.

Second, it makes her feel "forced to strip." Our nudist friends have invited us to their home, and my wife is reluctant to accept the invitation, because she doesn't know if she'll have to take her clothes off in front of everyone when we get there. The fact that our friends have all seen her naked has nothing to do with it. She just feels weird about the idea of people waiting on her to get naked and the "pressure" she might feel because of it. We also go to a nudist BnB, where her pattern is similar to the nudist resort. She changes "privately" in our room and initially comes out in a bathrobe. After she's established (positive) contact with the other guests, she'll return to our room and come back out naked. No one will ever see her actually undress; as she'll keep the "act" confined to our bedroom. And she doesn't feel "forced."

The third reason...I'm not sure about. But it seems about controlling how people "see her." Perhaps it's because she feels she can express "naked confidence" more visibly when she can dispense with the formality of being seen undressing. Who knows?

I'm just curious whether it's "just my wife" or if this is a sentiment generally shared by nudist women.

What's your experience?

This topic was edited
RE:Undressing: it should be simple, but is it?

I don't consider it a private act either.
When I go to a nude beach, I am usually only wearing short or a swimsuit and flip flops. Therefore, undressing is only removing one item so it isn't a very long show.
The two times I have been to a clothing optional resort, I was only wearing shorts for the drive. I took them off in the car and left them there, not because I didn't want people to see me take them off, but to maximize the clothing free experience.
At the one nude house party I attended, I was told to go into one of the bedrooms and leave my clothing there, so that is what I did. I would have been willing to take them off in the room were most of the guests were but followed the directions of the host.

This post was edited

Undressing may have vulnerability, everything from having a wobbly balance to bending over and hiding/moving ones wallet, watch or other valuables. Therefore it makes sense to have some privacy. When I was at Hippie Hollow I was surprised at how people undressed. Some did it as soon as they could when they left the parking lot (myself included), others went in a bathroom, and others to their spot they wanted to sit or lay down. I hadn't realized how personal the choice was.

This post was edited

I lock my wallet and phone in the glove box of my car.
Sometimes take off my shorts as soon as I reach the clothing optional area, otherwise when I set up my chair.
Bathrooms are outside the clothing optional area, near the main road.

This post was edited

Have to admit I find it simple but always take steps to keep it simple. If I am going to a nudist venue then I am seldom wearing more than shirts, T-shirt and sandals. So it really is a case of a few seconds and they are all off easily and quickly, no fuss no struggle.
The exception being going to nudist swims/saunas especially in the winter where I would be dressed normally. But then it is just like vetted changed at the gym or swimming pool. Everyone is in a changing room doing exactly the same thing and generally just paying attention to themselves.

This post was edited

Have to admit I find it simple but always take steps to keep it simple. If I am going to a nudist venue then I am seldom wearing more than shirts, T-shirt and sandals. So it really is a case of a few seconds and they are all off easily and quickly, no fuss no struggle.The exception being going to nudist swims/saunas especially in the winter where I would be dressed normally. But then it is just like vetted changed at the gym or swimming pool. Everyone is in a changing room doing exactly the same thing and generally just paying attention to themselves.

I rarely drive with a shirt on in warm weather so it is one less thing to take off when I get there.

This post was edited

I was reading a thread (on another MB) that dealt with the act of undressing. Some people stated that it is one of their favorite parts of "entering the nudist world." It marks the "transition" from the "textile world" to the "nudist world"; and for some, there is even some enjoyment derived from seeing other people seeing them join in. Myself, when it comes to disrobing, it does not matter who is around; it is not something I consider a "private act." At the nude beach, I have disrobed around many people without thinking much about it.And then I thought: "My wife feels very differently about it."I have asked her about it, and her response has been a jumble of mixed emotions. But after peeling away at the layers, I was able to determine several causes.First, it makes her feel as though she is "putting on a show." I can understand that. I've seen women arrive at the nude beach fully dressed; and then go through the rigmarole of "slithering" out of tight jeans or shorts, "wrestling" with unclasping their bra, and then "tug away" at their undies to get them off. By the end of it, they've got a "captive audience" of men attentively watching the whole thing transpire. For a newbie or a shy person, this is probably not the best way to remain inconspicuous. I call it the "striptease effect." My wife's method for avoiding this is to wear a strapless onesie, and after checking in, she goes back to the car; and with a simple tug, her onesie is off and she's naked. Our friends are usually already there, and she can join them already naked.Second, it makes her feel "forced to strip." Our nudist friends have invited us to their home, and my wife is reluctant to accept the invitation, because she doesn't know if she'll have to take her clothes off in front of everyone when we get there. The fact that our friends have all seen her naked has nothing to do with it. She just feels weird about the idea of people waiting on her to get naked and the "pressure" she might feel because of it. We also go to a nudist BnB, where her pattern is similar to the nudist resort. She changes "privately" in our room and initially comes out in a bathrobe. After she's established (positive) contact with the other guests, she'll return to our room and come back out naked. No one will ever see her actually undress; as she'll keep the "act" confined to our bedroom. And she doesn't feel "forced."The third reason...I'm not sure about. But it seems about controlling how people "see her." Perhaps it's because she feels she can express "naked confidence" more visibly when she can dispense with the formality of being seen undressing. Who knows?I'm just curious whether it's "just my wife" or if this is a sentiment generally shared by nudist women.What's your experience?

Di's first visit to a nude venue was our local C/O beach. She likes knowing the routine. What people wear down to the beach, what the norm's are for taking ones clothes off. On our first visit, she wore shorts and a t shirt. We picked our spot, set up the chairs and she sat for about 10 mins before proclaiming, "this is stupid. I'm the only one dressed on this beach!" She stood up and dropped her shorts, took off the t shirt and was naked. The shorts and t shirt was all she wore to the beach. It made it easy for her to just slip off two things and fit right in.

She'd had a couple of instances where we visited a local nude resort and though it was upscale, it didn't have a day use room for visitors. The lockers they provided were adjacent to the hot tub and many, including my wife, felt like they were putting on a strip show for those in the tub. On our 3rd visit to this resort, like every visit to our nude beach, Di wore a sundress with nothing on underneath. One tug over the head and she was naked. She said that wearing the sundress and being naked was easier than taking off several layers and "giving them a show." She also said, "it takes the imagination and anticipation right out of the equation." haha

We visited another local resort where the owners dedicated a hotel room for day use visitors. You could put your belongings into the room for safe keeping, use that restroom and shower and could go into the room dressed and come out naked. On occasion, we'd check in, find our lounge chairs and strip on the pool deck, then take our stuff into the day use room. Typically, we'd go into the day room and strip and then emerge.

Whenever we have a gathering here for nudists at our home, we use the same concept of a day use room. Our nudist friends have used that same concept when we visit them. You arrive dressed and are greeted by nude hosts and guests then shown the room to leave your belongings. Di typically emerges with a sarong over her shoulder. She can scope out the female guests and usually follows suit. If they are wrapped in a sarong, she'll wrap herself in hers. If they are naked, she'll use the sarong to sit on.

If we are staying overnight, a couple of nights or even a week, as we usually do, this routine lasts for a short period the first day. Subsequent days, she doesn't bother with the sarong or any cover unless it's cold. Di's a private person and does not like to be center of attention. Being watched, even while clothed, makes her nervous. Stands to reason that she'd feel uncomfortable being watched while taking her clothes off, even at a nude venue.

This post was edited

I guess I've been on both sides of the equation.

It's nice to be able to discreetly watch a female remove her clothes, even if she stops at her swimsuit. I try to be discrete, but perhaps I fail in the subject's eyes, perhaps she's seen insufficiently-discrete watchers too often or perhaps she's just naturally self-conscious that it might be considered a show. It probably is, unless one tries to tone down the visuals, and depending on the female, in some cases they have to try extremely hard to make it less than a wonderful viewing opportunity.

As a bloke, I can understand the "total non event" feeling from both the undresser's and the viewer's perspective although, with the spectrum of humanity being what it is, it's not always this way. I may just occasionally be inclined to observe a male disrobing. For shedding the clothes myself it also varies. I may strip at the CO zone sign or even before, but likely not if others are nearby and they are clothed and heading my way - I'll let them pass first and likely let them get a little distance from me. If I am past the sign I'll also usually wait if someone's approaching and I think they may misinterpret my signals. (Correct signal: I just want to get nude. Incorrect signal: I'm doing this now just for your benefit.) Once I've picked a spot at a CO beach then (apart from my first-ever visit) the clothing comes off.

For an unofficial CO beach more factors come in to play. Are textiles about? Has anyone else already stripped off? At Noosa's Alexandra Bay, for example, it a well-known unofficial destination and I can't imagine many are surprised if they encounter 100% flesh. Today there were a mix of textile walkers, textile bathers (board shorts, swim brief, bikini, thong), 'occasion nudists' who strip off for the bucket-list dip and then dress again and those more dedicated. My shedding was more discrete and I tried to keep my distance to textiles when walking to and from the water or along the shoreline. That strange balance between discretion in an unofficial area that everyone knows is an unofficial area.

As mentioned above the other aspect is dressing for undressing. For me I had a longish polo covering my Tanga bikini, and sometimes shirtless, sometimes Donald Ducking, sometimes 100%. Minimalist but also with a mind to surroundings and the sunshine.

This post was edited

We generally both undress as soon as its appropriate.

As soon as we get to our room at the resort and as soon as we get to our shopping place at the beach.

At the beach we often used the area in front of the hotel was used by textiles so we had to walk past to get to the CO area, once we found a place to stop we would both strip down then set out our mats and erect the windbreak/tent. Others would set up their stuff before getting nude.

We set up close to the sea, and I like watching the people walking along the shore towards the naturist area and try to decide before hand if the are nudists or just gawkers come up the beach to see nudies. It always made me smile, the ones who stopped to undress.

This post was edited

On our first visit, she wore shorts and a t shirt. We picked our spot, set up the chairs and she sat for about 10 mins before proclaiming, "this is stupid. I'm the only one dressed on this beach!" She stood up and dropped her shorts, took off the t shirt and was naked. he shorts and t shirt was all she wore to the beach..
My Annie was the same way, Our first time to Cypress Cove. She insisted she wasn't going to be naked, not her, and threatened me not to bug her about it. We walked to the pool, me already nude, and we picked a spot to settle in.
After five minutes she said to me, "this is stupid", stood up and pealed off her two piece and sat back down without a second thought. There seemed to be no reservation to strip in front of the 50 or so people there, who seemed to be paying absolutely no attention to her anyway.
She was feeling more embarrassed to be the only one clothed that the thought of being NAKED in public.
I was so proud of her. She stripped out of more than her clothes that day! Shedding emotions and insecurities at the same time.

This post was edited

On our first visit, she wore shorts and a t shirt. We picked our spot, set up the chairs and she sat for about 10 mins before proclaiming, "this is stupid. I'm the only one dressed on this beach!" She stood up and dropped her shorts, took off the t shirt and was naked. he shorts and t shirt was all she wore to the beach..My Annie was the same way, Our first time to Cypress Cove. She insisted she wasn't going to be naked, not her, and threatened me not to bug her about it. We walked to the pool, me already nude, and we picked a spot to settle in.After five minutes she said to me, "this is stupid", stood up and pealed off her two piece and sat back down without a second thought. There seemed to be no reservation to strip in front of the 50 or so people there, who seemed to be paying absolutely no attention to her anyway.She was feeling more embarrassed to be the only one clothed that the thought of being NAKED in public.I was so proud of her. She stripped out of more than her clothes that day! Shedding emotions and insecurities at the same time.

How did you convince her to go if she wasn't intending to be nude?
My wife doesn't want to even see anyone nude except me.

This post was edited