Study suggests non sexual social nudity boosts sex life

Contrary to the popular of some on here this study reported in Psychology Today suggests non sexual social nudity enhances sex lives of those who participate in the activity.

A recent study is the first unbiased investigation of the effects of nonsexual public nakedness.
Participants who socialized naked reported significantly improved body image and less physique anxiety.
Public nakedness contributes to self-esteem. It helps one appreciate the diversity of the human form and judge themselves less harshly.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/all-about-sex/202211/hate-your-body-public-nakedness-might-change

The study seems to suggest that despite the conventional wisdom of some online those who practice non sexual social (public) nudity tend to have a greater sums of self esteem and body positivity that leads to better sexual relationships. They dont seem to be the prides that those who promote sexual public nudity have been saying.

This topic was edited
RE:Study suggests non sexual social nudity boosts sex life

That makes a lot of sense!

This post was edited

It does and to the vast majority of people who experience naturism on a regular basis its an observable fact.

Sadly, too many deniers on here who rarely, if ever experience naturism want it to be sexual and demand that if we dont change the facts to suit their agenda then we are being judgmental by not allowing them to behave the way they wish, and naturism will die.

Its very odd, but its what they are constantly posting on here.

This post was edited

Sadly, too many deniers on here who rarely, if ever experience naturism want it to be sexual and demand that if we dont change the facts to suit their agenda then we are being judgmental by not allowing them to behave the way they wish, and naturism will die.Its very odd, but its what they are constantly posting on here.

That is right on point and they never bother engage in facts or logic they simple do what they accuse others of doing spout their hyperbolic diatribes and self interested opinion to try to shut down opposing voices.

This post was edited

Thank you for the article and the enlightenment. As to where this thread is likely to go, it takes very little time for most every post about nudism with regard to sexual conduct to devolve into some heated argument about how being naked should give a person the freedom to do whatever or act however they want. Being freed of clothing has much less to do with a shift in any personal freedoms and much more to do with how you treat the people and the world you choose to live in, along with how you perceive yourself in that world. A person who feels that behavior should all of the sudden be unrestricted because they are not dressed is being childish. Not much has changed except that they are no longer wearing clothes to hide behind. That lack of clothing may (and often does) make someone feel different, but it gives them no newly-acquired right to treat others differently than when they were dressed. Respect for other people and their sensibilities does not go away with the clothing.

There are moments when nudism can make uncomfortable interactions a lot more avoidable. Think of the guy who meets a woman and cannot stop himself from gawking at her breasts - in the clothed world that is rude and pathetic, and not altogether uncommon. If he were to do the same thing to her if they met naked, he'd still be acting like a dick for the objectification of the woman's body, but he can no longer hide his arousal behind has pants. The woman can quickly move on, learning in a moment that the man is a disrespectful turd. Just to be fair, the reverse but equivalent situation - when it is a woman showing a lack of respect by eyeballing a man's genitals in the nude - the man being objectified can easily see where the woman is looking, and if it is more than a simple glance or it makes him in any way uncomfortable, he can also make a hasty exit.

The health benefits this article brings to light about being unclothed in social spheres is refreshing to read. More studies need to be done, and such studies need more exposure to the general population. Psychology Today has my unadulterated respect for publishing this article.

This post was edited

It's not hard to see why dealing with body issues in a nonsexual context gets them out of the way, and avoids letting those issues complicate sexual interaction. There's value in naked interaction with a wide variety of people, where there might or might not be sexual interest, because every interaction strengthens the realization that you can live your life in the body you have.

If nudity is always about sex, then the liberating benefit of social nudity is lost, and nudity remains tied up with the complicated negotiations around sex and sexuality.

This post was edited

If nudity is always about sex, then the liberating benefit of social nudity is lost, and nudity remains tied up with the complicated negotiations around sex and sexuality.

The key thing for me in you comment is always Social nudity and just being naked public are different in my opinion. The social aspect is diminished as you say when the nudity is emphasized about the social. Putting the emphasis on the social first means having respect for others in the social space. Something that the nudity = sexual permission people seem to abandon.

This post was edited

"Social nudity and just being naked [in] public are different in my opinion."

How are these two things different? If we are speaking of just being bare in the physical presence of other humans versus actual social interaction while naked (talking, playing, swimming, sunning, dancing, etc.), there is certainly a difference, though the partial quote above seems more like a mincing of words than moving the discussion forward - no offense. Walking through a crowd of other nudists without talking or interacting is not social, it is essentially the opposite, even though there will always be non-verbal language, such as how someone comports themself and where their eyes land or travel as they move. Indeed, even that limited interaction can produce sexual tension within the mind of the un-experienced nudist, possibly even more tension of that sort than what I'll call here "true socialization".

During the warm summer months I sometimes see men walking around the pool area at our bare resort, usually moving among the lounge chairs over and over and around and around, looking a little like a lost puppy, in fact drawing more attention to themselves with their inability to mix in with anyone. Social skills are learned, and nudity does require the need for a bit of a re-learning for those not yet indoctrinated to the nude life.

This post was edited

I would tend to agree. The problem is the difference you describe is blurred in recent years just as some people take the state or condition of nakedness to mean practice or way of life that is nudism some of those same people compare social nudity as practiced in nudism/naturism as being naked in public.

I dont think that can be undone I think the distinction just needs to be unapologetically made.

This post was edited

I do see a distinction, in that social nudists tend to seek out other social nudists, whereas a person may go to a public park or beach and be naked because they like to be naked, whether or not somebody comes over to socialize with them. In fact, they may prefer to be alone, although they don't mind being seen naked by a lot of other people.

These people would be happy just existing in a world where their nudity can be seen as a normal fact of life. What blurs the distinction is that, for now, they can find that world only in contexts of social nudity, where everybody accepts everybody else's nudity because they themselves are nude.

I camp a lot. Sometimes I go there just to enjoy nature, and I'm not looking to "socialize" with other campers beyond the usual civilities. I'd like to do that nude as much as possible, but the only places I can do it are in "dispersed" camping in national forests and such, where nobody's around to see me, or in nudist resorts where nobody cares if I'm nude or not. I wish I could shuck my duds at any campground anywhere, even if I'm not looking for social interaction.

This post was edited

Love the opinions. Agree with most all. This is what I like about this site.

This post was edited