RE:In your opinion, do labels matter? Why?

It took me too many years trying to figure myself out back in the Dark Ages of the 1950's. Finally realizing that I was/am gay was a huge relief. I was ready to shout it from the rooftops, although I didn't because it was really unsafe to do so in those days. Today, I'm too old to care all that much about what others think. Over the years, the labels have changed radically. "Queer" was a terrible slur in my younger days when that word was used in hate and caused pain. Today, it's a rallying cry (although I'm still a little uncomfortable with it). I'm cisgender, but only a few years ago, if someone had used that term I would't have had the foggiest idea what that meant. So now, I can say I'm a cisgendered gay male. When with a mix of people from the LGBTQ++ spectrum, a label identifies the position from which I speak. It gives quick information to others. They don't have to wonder just who/what I am and what I bring to the table. Some may react negatively because I have so much "privilege" (another term that means so much more that it used to), but they soon realize that I don't exercise my "privilege." In fact, by recognizing it, admitting it, I show that I understand the issue and that I am willing to be called to account if I stupidly or unthinkingly say something that shows my ignorance. I may be 72, but I try everday to learn more, help more people, and speak more loudly for equality for all people.

However, and it's a big "however," when I am in a public space, I am much more cautious about labeling myself. There are still people who hate and seek to hurt those who are "different." I am fortunate to live in a city that is extraordinarily tolerant (Tucson, AZ USA), but there are still people and areas of town that cause me to tone down the neon rainbow flag. One has to be aware of one's surroundings at all times, unfortunately.

While labels work for me, I am well aware that they don't word for everyone, especially younger people who are still trying to explore their own identity. I'm not sure anyone under 25 should embrace a label too quickly. I don't particularly like the word "queer," as I have said, but I absolutely love the other "Q" word: "Questioning." I think everyone has the right to label themselves "questioning" and let it go at that!

This post was edited

Did this thread go to a gay/ homosexual topic as far as labels go? I ask as that has been the majority of the last post. There are other labels beyond those.

This post was edited

Did this thread go to a gay/ homosexual topic as far as labels go? I ask as that has been the majority of the last post. There are other labels beyond those.

If you want to discuss other labels, no one's stopping you.

This post was edited

If someone 'self-labels' themself with a sexual preference, they are, in a way, closing doors that might otherwise be open, depending on the situation in which they are engaged. Here in TN, anyone can interact with anyone else (looking past unfriending/blocking actions). Here we can tell others - the people who take a moment to look at a filled-out profile and learn a deeper level of information - how we see ourselves. Do I immediately ignore friend requests from people who call themselves gay or lesbian because I'm not? No. I am not here to search for a date - I seek nude interaction, so my self label of straight isn't there in our profile to tell someone who IS looking for a plaything to keep on swiping (though it may likely have that effect), it clarifies my position in the bare world.

In my final stream of thought, because I don't see this thread with much gusto left in it (but I do enjoy being proven wrong), in the bigger picture of what the original poster was stirring up, labels only matter as much as they can help us to understand each other. They can and often do eventually cause problems, preconceptions or misconceptions. There's no good way to fully ignore them, and anyway, why should we if someone is displaying one? If you want to wear one, do it! But please - not around the pool or hot tub area, that's another form of hiding your physique and inappropriate at a nude place. Keep any labels on the beach towel under your butt, not your skin.

One last (hopefully) humorous thought: It is permissible for a woman at a nude resort to wear two labels over her nipples, with the one on the right breast saying, "Hi - my name..." and the left, "...is Hillary". Everyone knows that hillary in German means, "She whose breasts defy gravity," don't they?

This post was edited

I'm impressed with the good and intelligent discussion on this topic (unless I missed something earlier), some other topics here can get some angry words and aggresive barbs thrown around. It's great this can be discussed and it seems we are generally more accepting here. The labels gay / straight are accepted, maybe that's because as nudists we can be wary about saying that to others / non-nudists, ie. we are nudists, which does not mean we are pervs or whatever others think happens at a resort or nude beach. Labels on one hand can be problematic in our world as they can be used against us or to categorise us, here it seems less so and more accepting. Our world through the media and society like to label people / groups and often blame is thrown broadly at a group if something goes wrong. That's lazy media work usually and can create awful flow on effects against minorities. Labels do matter to help identify but provided they are understood and respected I think it's OK to use them.

This post was edited

. Our world through the media and society like to label people / groups and often blame is thrown broadly at a group if something goes wrong. That's lazy media work usually and can create awful flow on effects against minorities.

On the rare occasions when a person is nude when committing a crime, it seems like the media always notes the lack of clothing.
Same for the much more common situation when a shirtless man breaks a law,

This post was edited

. On the rare occasions when a person is nude when committing a crime, it seems like the media always notes the lack of clothing.Same for the much more common situation when a shirtless man breaks a law,

Perceptive.

But

Police appealing for witnesses say they are looking for a short man wearing cargo shorts a black and white striped shirt and a black beret.

Descriptions happen like that all the time. Nude robbery might be rare but the descriptions are not.

This post was edited

In an ideal world labels may not be needed but in the real world human beings like to categorize maybe even need to in order to develop mental shortcuts used in social interactions. Its why one of the first things that comes up in a new encounter is what do you do? Its a way to categorize or label and individual.

When it comes to people, labels shouldn't really matter but we like to be able to categorise and pigeon-hole others to help us understand them better and work out how we relate to them. The challenge with labels are the biases and assumptions they carry, and also that many are used perjoratively. We can't live without labels but as long as we understand that they are not black and white when it comes to people, we can start to see beyond them and appreciate people are multi-faceted with lots of different, and sometimes even contradictory dimensions. Do labels matter? I think they can be useful but no, I don't think they matter. People matter, not labels.

This post was edited