In your opinion, do labels matter? Why?

Good evening friends,

I am not 100% sure how the topic came up, but in the chat room, the issue of labels came up. I seemed to be the only one that was okay with labels some of the time. I stated that labels are important because it provides insight into someone/something. I added that it provided background and allowed us to better understand. I am a homosexual. A heterosexual stated, like who you like, its doesn't matter, labels don't matter. And another homosexual said that he didn't want to be judged for being gay. I agree with both of them. But I also agree that labels can be acceptable, unless we assign value to the varying different groups.

What's your opinion?

My personal opinion, I think they matter, just like most things we encounter, have their time and place. As a first generation born Asian American homosexual, I find it valuable that you identify the label "first generation born" and understand that there are things that I grew up with in a house in America that varies dramatically from the "traditional American house"... I am not saying I can't learn or won't learn, but there has to be some sort of learning curve that is in my favor.

This started out about sex and sexuality, but I think a great discussion to be had in the general senses. Thoughts..

This topic was edited
RE:In your opinion, do labels matter? Why?

I am hetero and a multi generational Canadian.I had given no thought that this was labelling but I agree that it actually is. I suppose I identify that way to alleviate any disappointment a non hetero oriented person may experience should they be interested in more than friendship. At the same time it saves me from the embarrassment of continually sounding non accepting of people who are not like me. Those labels are a guideline to future expectations of where a friendship may go. Adding my nationality indicates my location and I suppose hints at my world view. I don't know that labels are necessary but I think they are helpful to a new acquaintence. They are a way of saying this is me. Sadly, by the same token, they sometimes convey the message that if you are not like me you are not welcome. I can only speak for me. My labels are identifiers and not indicative of my acceptance of others. 'Tis a fine line to tread when using identifiers and not indicating how open or closed we are to those who identify differently.

This post was edited

I believe that labels should be used so long as they serve you. Labels are a way to quickly communicate information.
You aren't obligated to use a label if it makes things more difficult for you.

The label should suit you and not the other way around. I do X so I use the label Y makes sense. I do X BECAUSE I'm a label Y seems weird to me.

This post was edited

People dont like labels until they do. When some people decry labels its usually because it doesnt serve their interests. It has been my experience that the same people will adopt and use labels whe it serves some perceived interest. I had a long debate with someone about that once online but then visited their online profile only to find them using several identity label.

Bottom line is we all have identities that define the way we see ourselves some more than others. We use labels to reflect those identities.

This post was edited

I believe labels can both leverage and smother us. We are free to use them as we evolve. One one hand they can help reframe us and our thinking, but can also throw us into a ghetto of narrow-mindedness. It's currently in vogue to use orientation labels, which I refer to as prefixed sexuality. In a way they remind me of the hyphenated Americanism that emerged when I was growing up ("Kiss me, I'm Irish-American"). I've has a hard time adopting one that fits. If I get aroused from the warm rays on my sun-starved body, does that make me solarsexual? Let me examine labels in a broader context than just sexual ones.
As an immigrant kid I've struggled "fitting in" and being thought of as "not from here" no matter where I live, all without the added sting of racism which some experience. It's not easy but somehow I'm wealthier as a result.
The US is also very Puritanical (in some parts more than others), which means that we gravitate towards black/white thinking and tend to become more cartoonish and extreme in our behaviors. The ability to reinvent ourselves is a blessing, though sometimes we feel forced to accept between false opposites. Choose labels carefully as result.
The best labels reinforce our natural strengths and define what we can offer spontaneously and generously. You inherently understand the nuances which helps you to give a properly measured response. For example, if you're Mexican you can share the glories of your cuisine without knowing perhaps all regional differences but elevating things a mile higher than the basement knowledge of Taco Bell.
Give those things that add life and vitality with your labels and let go of the results. You'll be a shining light to others in the process. I for one have leaned an incredible amount from gays who have "come out" to embrace my authenticity and individual dynamics that I was derided for growing up. In other words, if you have something to hide, paint it red.

This post was edited

Labels can be helpful early in a relationship/friendship, but can lead to division. While Ketanji Brown Jackson is an excellent choice for the Supreme Court, prior to her actual nomination it was widely reported that the search was for an African American woman. This makes it appear that her race and sex were determining factors in her selection, tainting it.

This post was edited

As others have said, labels are both useful and limiting. They can serve very different purposes.

A label I adopt for myself can help me organize my self-concept and find my position in the community, whether or not I articulate it to others.

A label I adopt for myself, if I articulate it, tells others something about me that I want them to know.

A label others apply to me necessarily limits me in their eyes. People don't really think of themselves as "Asian", for example, but as Indian or Japanese or whatever. "Asian" is really a name for a body of prejudices; the group to which it applies is simply those who are subject to those prejudices. These labels are important politically, but not personally.

The same label can work in all three ways, and differently in different people's lives at different times.

When I first identified myself as "gay', it was a tool for understanding myself. Then it became an essentially political tool, with which I identified myself as part of a group, many of which I had almost nothing in common with except that the wider society regarded us negatively, and with whom I made common cause as an activist for societal acceptance.

Now, it's a label I use to tell people about myself in a shorthand way, although I no longer think of gayness as something I am; I didn't marry my husband because of his gender, but because I love him.

This post was edited

As a gay male, labels are very important. Labelling myself as "gay" means that females know straight away not to try to pick me up. It also tells other men that I might be interested. Similarly, when a guy labels himself as "straight", it signifies he's interested in females but not males.
Thus, we save the time wasting and disappointment, thinking someone that takes our fancy might be interested when they are not. My own experience with men that don't like labels, is that they have a closet gay side which they're not comfortable admitting to.

This post was edited

I totally agree with you well said!!!

This post was edited

My own experience with men that don't like labels, is that they have a closet gay side which they're not comfortable admitting to.

I am gay, and don't like labels. They seem to be more a way of separating people rather than uniting them. Too much them and us.

This post was edited

I cant imagine how things would be without labels. People wouldnt have names, places wouldnt have names, every object in the known universe would be called a thing. Labels, or names are what we use to differentiate one thing from another. To not like them is ridiculous.

This post was edited