What is the future of naturist resorts in US?

A member of the US based Naturist Action Committee asks an important question about the the future of naturists resorts. The decline in US naturist venue is as rapid if not even more rapids than the decline in public options. Read the piece from the NAC newsletter here

https://naturisteducation.org/wp-content/uploads/library/newsletters/2022_06.pdf

This topic was edited
RE:What is the future of naturist resorts in US?

This is a very good summary of the status of naturist resorts, and the reasons why they are facing hard times economically. The land value of their properties is greater than the revenue potential for their owners.

The answer seems to be that if we want resorts, they'll have to be in places were there isn't much economic value as urban real estate, farmland, or mineral extraction. Or the resorts will have to be much more popular and economically viable.

This post was edited

I suspect it is both. I think another option is more boutique style resorts like Bare lake i upstate New York. They dont need to have all the bells and whistles but have enough for folks to do at an affordable cost.This is a very good summary of the status of naturist resorts, and the reasons why they are facing hard times economically. The land value of their properties is greater than the revenue potential for their owners..

This post was edited

Nudist resorts seem to be fragmenting to different demographic focus groups. The "traditional" ones within a few hours drive of Chicago seem to be aging out and not attracting or seeking younger members in a sustainable fashion. There's at least onemixed adult only resort that has a more of a "anything goes sexually here" philosophy, but I don't know much about it. In addition there's at least one adult male only resort geared to a gay/bi demographic.
Since I enjoy camping I've noticed a growth sector in the one sector: RV camping near popular state and national parks. As boomers retire and enjoy travel to destinations but with more comfort than public facilities offer, I believe this sector will grow.

This post was edited

I personally would be happy with a camping area with swimming opportunities, either natural or artificial, a hot tub, and lavatories. A large communal area would be nice, but it could be rustic. All this would cost less than half of what the all-out resort would cost in maintenance, taxes, and so on, so it would be more affordable for those who are on a budget.

This model is the closest to the original nudist model established about 100 years ago in the US with terms such as "a physical culture" and "gmnosophy." Much of it was egalitarian/communal in nature: team sports and exercises and shared prepared and served meals. Living standards have changed and "recreation" usually is more passive than active re-creating. Maybe I'm too tradition, but sharing work, exercise and meals - all naked and across generations - is wonderful means of community building, which we have a lot to learn from in today's fragmented society.

This post was edited