Nudism vs Naturism

I think it is time to differentiate between nudism & Naturism...

NUDISM: The enjoyment of recreational activities in the nude.

NATURISM: The enjoyment of life in the nude as much as possible, with Naturists experiencing a deep spiritual connection with Nature, and recognising Nature as a supreme Omnipresent Force, responsible for life and life balance in the universe.

What do you think?

This topic was edited
RE:Nudism vs Naturism

Based on that, most people are nudists. Nothing spiritual about what they do. Some aren't into nudism, they just hate clothes. Hate is such an ugly emotion. I also don't know how alcohol, smoking, coffee, and other such addictions fit into being spiritual.

This post was edited

I think that we shouldnt focus on differences which separate us. Instead we should focus on similarities which unite us. We are a minority with an image problem. We need all the comrades we can get.

This post was edited

I think the vast majority of nudists/naturists are a mixer of both. We live naked daily and are nude whenever possible, wherever possible, that includes out in nature. We don't just get naked out in nature. We do most of everything around the house, inside and outside while nude. I drive nude at least 50% of the time and always on long driving trips, especially in our motorhome.

Being nude in nature is a real plus. It truly connects us with the surroundings and it's a totally different experience than being naked at home. The solitude of being nude in nature is energizing for us. We're not in that great of shape but when nude in nature, taking walks, hiking and camping, we have more energy and stamina. Beach walks are my wife's favorite. She can walk and walk and doesn't seem to want to stop.

In the past, I've seen definitions that state; Nudists/nudism; are people that are naked anywhere and everywhere possible. Naturists/naturism are people that are naked only in nature. With so many clubs, resorts and nudist/naturist venues being out in nature, there doesn't really seem to be a difference anymore.

This post was edited

Being spiritual about nature is a personal and subjective experience. It can vary greatly depending on an individual's beliefs, cultural background, and spiritual practices. The key aspect is recognizing and honoring the spiritual significance of nature and developing a profound relationship with the natural world.

Being spiritual about nature typically refers to having a deep connection, reverence, or appreciation for the natural world and recognizing it as a source of inspiration, awe, and a reflection of something greater than oneself. It involves viewing nature as more than just a physical entity, but as a manifestation of the divine or a transcendent presence.

Spirituality, in general, relates to the inner experiences, beliefs, and practices that give meaning, purpose, and connection to the larger aspects of existence. When it comes to nature, being spiritual often involves recognizing the interconnectedness of all living beings and the environment, and understanding that there is a spiritual dimension or energy inherent in the natural world.

Spirituality in Nature

What does being spiritual about nature means?

Being spiritual about nature typically refers to having a deep connection, reverence, or appreciation for the natural world and recognizing it as a source of inspiration, awe, and a reflection of something greater than oneself. It involves viewing nature as more than just a physical entity, but as a manifestation of the divine or a transcendent presence.

Spirituality, in general, relates to the inner experiences, beliefs, and practices that give meaning, purpose, and connection to the larger aspects of existence. When it comes to nature, being spiritual often involves recognizing the interconnectedness of all living beings and the environment, and understanding that there is a spiritual dimension or energy inherent in the natural world.

For some people, being spiritual about nature means finding a sense of peace, harmony, and tranquility when they are in natural settings, such as forests, mountains, or bodies of water. It can involve engaging in activities like meditation, mindfulness, or contemplation while surrounded by nature to deepen one's connection with it.

Being spiritual about nature may also include adopting environmentally conscious attitudes and behaviors, such as practicing sustainability, conservation, and caring for the Earth. Many spiritual traditions emphasize the sacredness of nature and advocate for its protection and preservation.

This post was edited

While I see your point, may I point out that in Australia, an unified front has not occured. You have associations and businesses who are happy with the status quo which guaranty them some members.
The leaders of the so called naturism industry in Oz have failed miserably in past decades.
They neither have developed naturism, nor educated the textiles, and they haven't been able to counteract the textiles movements which keep us fighting for those legals nudist zones and those historically nudists but unofficial ones.
But most importantly they have failed to round those practicing nudism/ naturism and have a voice and representation in the community.

I agree we do need to unify, but a better definition of nudism and naturism is not going to play against us, as we can still and must work together to ensure this country catch up with the rest of the world when it comes to the right to enjoy the clothes free lifestyle without fear of prosecution.

I actually believe igniting a debate about nudism and naturism will benefit us all, as this will engender some conversations which will also act as an educational tool...therefore providing the larger textile community with view on nuances about nudism & naturism, helping them in the process to discover there is nothing sexual about it. This is an opportunity to put our case forward, highlighting the many health and associated benefits of living clothes free as well as the huge economical benefit that would come from having Australia legalising some form of public nudity, bringing some $ of the multi- billions dollars in Australia, creating a new industry that will generate thousands of jobs.

From experience unifying nudists/ naturists is not an easy task as many prefer being anonymous for fear of repercussion socially or professionally.

We need a voice, we need someone with the gut to run for senate at the next election to initiate favorable legislative changes....Unless we get some representation there, we won't get anywhere...

This post was edited

You say that the nudism industry has failed us, but I disagree that we ever had one. Also, going just by this site, and other dealings I have had, too many people want European style nudist resorts, but don't want to pay for them. If you want things for free, you aren't going to pay for what's on offer.

This post was edited

You can define them any way you want. In most European countries, they use Naturist where in the States we use Nudist. European Naturist are not necessarily spiritual about their nudity. I think we all get something different from being nude in social situations.

This post was edited

It's a very big world out there, involving hundreds of languages and thousands of dialects, not to mention the half-gazillion colloquialisms and alternative meanings. In the somewhat futile attempt to define certain words for clarity, a definition can benefit us all in our communication of thought and feeling. I, for one, relish the alternatives, and even though it tends to bend some people the wrong way, appreciate the ability to make up new words - and sometimes even on purpose! My honey and I were walking to chapel in the rather gross weather we were dealing with this past Sunday, and she spit out the word, "Yick." What a perfect word for that trip of 100 feet. I needed to Merriam Webster that one later in the day and came the conclusion that my gal had in fact added to the world a fine descriptive word for foulish weather! I'm using it again today.

Point - whether there is a desire to use one or the other of the two words being discussed, or to even use them interchangeably, all the people involved want/need/crave to be nude; this is the inclusive place between them. Definitions can separate as well as bring together. Maybe a more helpful direction for the cause of strengthening bareness around the world, and to help non-nudists understand us better, would be to end the contentiousness and offer a more united front.

Clothes don't make the man, man makes the clothes, with reverent and honorable mention to the females here who've been sewing men's loincloths for millennia. The bare is the reason most of us are writing here. Inclusion wins over rivalry when we all have the same desire to further strengthen our message of healthy nakedness. Or how about naturdist? That just hurt my tongue... much less the poop in the middle.

This post was edited

@jorgerine
I kind of agree with you for once...
The so called nudist/naturist organisation in this country have kept such a low profile that one may say it is as if they never existed!
They don't even bother reply to the many emails I sent them, not even a request to be a member!
While it is true people want it all for free, I believe there is a huge market for the nudist & naturist resort/ village style, there is also the posdibility here in Australia, considering the vastness of our country and its many natural beauty to accommodate those who want to be free to enjoy the clothes free lifestyle without brwaking the bank.
We just need to lobby to the right people, run some education campaigns to educate textile, push for legislation changes to have the tight to be nude in public recognised and legal like in other countries, we need to trigger interest from the business class, so that they see the $$$$ that could be generated so that they put pressure on our pollies to make legislative changes...we need to have some representation in the Senate.. ..
There is room for naturism & nudism to grow side by side and be enjoyed in luxury or in basics...

This post was edited

@Mcdcvs...that s my point! We need clearer definitive universally accepted definitiin of each term.
Asking such clarification ( naturism vs nudism) is going to generate conversations....conversations will generate interest...interest will generate education...education will generate better understanding of the clothes free enjoyment , which in turn will weight positively on our side...potentially gaining people who will then join the lifestyle...growing our numbers and support therefore with more chance of placing more pressure on our out of date leadership and force them to give us more freedom to enjoy our lifestyle and for those who have a spiritual connection to enjoy it without discrimination....

This post was edited