What I'm reading today

I have a friend on TN who recommended a book to me that I am thoroughly enjoying: "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater" by Kurt Vonnegut. It's a lark to read after some of the heavier material I've been reading recently, and more than a little bit zany.

I do almost ALL my reading while on the treadmill at the gym. I just prop up my tablet, open the Kindle app, and the miles fly by under my feet.

I'd like to post what I've read over the last year or two, but will save that for another day and another topic.

Happy reading!

This topic was edited
RE:What I'm reading today

My next book is The Great Escape. I bought a kindle last year and cant get enough

This post was edited

While I read all the Frank Herbert Dune Novels more than 20 years ago, I've read very few of the prequels by his son Brian and Kevin Anderson.
Inspired by the latest movie, I decided to read the series in chronological order starting with "The Butlerian Jihad" where we get glimpses of the beginnings of various incidents and sects that will set the stage for the events in the later novels.

Also reading the excellent Oppenheimer biography, "American Prometheus" that the movie was based on.

This post was edited

I must admit that I was not much of a reader. I never found any books, stories or characters that interested me enough.

My wife is a big Lee Childs/Jack Reacher fan. When the Tom Cruise movies about this character, we watched them, but my wife was not pleased that "he" played Jack Reacher. She explained the character to me, and I understood it but didn't spend lots of time dwelling on it.

I listened to a book CD on the character once and became a bit more interested. Then the Prime series on the Jack Reacher books came out and we watched those. The actor portraying Jack Reacher, Alan Richson, is a much more believable likeness to the book character. After watching both seasons, I picked up the first book, Killing Floor, and decided to read them in chronological order. I'm now on my 6th Lee Childs/Jack Reacher book, Echo Burning. My plan is to read them all, all 30 of the books written so far. My wife is in disbelief that I've actually enjoyed reading books, some books, any books for that matter.

This post was edited

It's good to see some folks unspoiled by the lightning quick speed of the world around them, people willing and able to let others live their lives stuck so close to their dumbphone to notice the worth of the written world that isn't simply swiped aside when it doesn't appeal within the first nanoseconds. And nice to see this bare book club!

Lately I've been getting pulled away from the enjoyments involving other people's thoughts and knowledge, and I'll blame part of that on the historical read my mom gave me a couple of years ago and I'm finally 'rounding the corner of - only twenty pages to go in D.K. Goodwin's book on T. Roosevelt & W. Taft, "The Bully Pulpit". My goodness but Doris does go deep! After 700 pages I'm weary but still intrigued with how appropriate it is to read about how journalism back around the turn of the last century was so effectively used to steer the country away from corporate greed, political corruption and largess and toward a more equitable state of being in America. Our present situation does mimic this moment of history in so many ways - thanks Mom!

Still haven't tossed aside Stephen Cobert's latest laugh out loud silliness; recently chomped down Rachel Maddow's writings on the influence of Germany's propaganda machine on US politics and press in the 1930s "Prequel", another very timely read with today's lie mongers going full force on the somewhat unsuspecting public. Read and learn from our past mistakes before we're living right back in them.

I'm about ready for some lighter fare; any new books suggested by Tom Robbins fans? Also a lover of technical SiFi, if anyone has a title for me.

This post was edited