"Troll like" Ignore list

I was wondering if I would be in a I'll conduct and etiquette class if i suggested a way to reduce troll like activity. I had a chat with a knowledgable person who said there is not much we,(users of TN) can say or do to reduce trolling here. I also remember Gerry-4 (I think) had a great and true vision that one can starve a troll. I put the thoughts together and thought we could start a- troll like behavior"WALL OF SHAME". One could post the remark/who said it. Then no one ever replies to their comments and they starve. Either they change their ways or they will move somewhere else on the web to eat. I like the idea and think it will work BUT... would I not be a troll in doing this?

This topic was edited
RE:

I suppose it's not a good idea. In 11 hours there is only 1 reply. The rest of you must be unsure if this is proper, as am I. Even a troll should be shown respect. I suppose maybe there is nothing we can do.

This post was edited
RE:

I just now saw the thread. I am in agreement, but the trouble with trolls is that they are persistent and devious. They would just start posting non-troll posts that they disagree with-they would troll the troll board. I just keep dabbing on a liittle Preparation H.We are gonna need a lot of it. If I buy it by the case, will it save me money?!!!

This post was edited
RE:

Even a troll should be shown respect.
Why? Respect isn't a right. It's earned.Respect only needs to be earned if it is lost. ALL people should be treated with respect unless they lose it somehow. Treating people with respect upon first meeting is common courtesy.

This post was edited
RE:

I put the thoughts together and thought we could start a- troll like behavior"WALL OF SHAME". One could post the remark/who said it. Then no one ever replies to their comments and they starve.
No, for one reason alone.

Accidentally become embroiled in a flame fest, and not having the common sense to just sit down and shut up it flames on.
Days later ( after even one followup ) it's noticed on this "wall of shame."

Too late !

We've always had the ability to simply not feed the trolls.
All that need happen, is for folks to not feed them !
There are a few to whom I simply never respond.
Now you know why.

This post was edited
RE:

now that the forum is moderated, either fewer people are trolling the forums or their posts are being deleted, either way there isnoticeablyfar less trolling than before, maybe the solution already exists...

This post was edited
RE:

Trollish behavior is NOT conducive to being held in "high or special regard" by anyone.Well of course. Would could argue against that? trollish behavior earn the loss of common respect that should have been afforded them upon first meeting. Treating anybody with disrespect upon first meeting is extremely rude. Such behavior is akin to prejudice.

This post was edited
RE:

Sorry, lad, but that thar dog don't hunt in these woods. One no more has an inherent right to be respected than to be trusted. Respect and trust are earned, as are disrespect and distrust. If Mr. X has a complete lack of knowledge about Mr. Y, he has nothing on which to base such decisions. Affording Mr. Y the benefit of the doubt and assuming that he is respectable and trustworthy is NOT the same thing as actively respecting or trusting him. First impressions are a fundamental part of human interaction, and a bad FI is hard to counteract.Is it your position that disrespect toward a new acquaintance is acceptable behavior until the respect is earned?

This post was edited
RE: Trolls

Depends on where the place is. Look at Anna Liddell from rec.nude. She posts about nudist and nude-related items to it incessantly every day and nobody takes any notice of her except John "Zee" Simmons and Mike "Sportsbug" Ebury, both of whom are the group's resident trolls.

This post was edited

You can starve a troll two ways. One way is to avoid posting in threads where trolling is active. But if the topic touches you, the other is to write with a tone of respect - a tone, I don't say the respect has to have been earned - and to write from your own heart about the topic , not about the troll or in direct response to their post. There certainly is less trolling in the forums these days.
I'd credit some fairly earnest threads on the subject that have discouraged some of the most active contributors from responding to trolls by lowering their own discourse to that level. I recently looked back at some threads from a few months ago, and was struck by how many replies were ad hominem - not about the topic, but about the poster (your profile is blank, you are an exhibitionist / immature / newbie / whatever, you have asked a question that's been asked before) rather than about the topic. No, that's not trolling per se, but it sets a bad tone, and sets the stage for a flame war. I'm glad there's much less of it now.

This post was edited

I agree with Steve and would rather feed a troll with common sense and respect for the topic.
Burning a troll? Nope it doesn't look good when you appear to lower yourself to his level.
As for respect? I have very little for trollish comments or their authors and seriously doubt any is deserved.

This post was edited