RE: A way around the law. US

Instead of a reliegin we simply need to get more nudists into congress and senate so we can get some laws passed to legalize nudity in certain places. then it would be a snowball effect as more people would understand it.

This post was edited

When you think about it, it's odd that nudism isn't more widely practiced. When the government declares something illegal then its popularity grows by leaps and bounds. Why hasn't the same thing happened to nudism?

This post was edited

Instead of a reliegin we simply need to get more nudists into congress and senate so we can get some laws passed to legalize nudity in certain places. then it would be a snowball effect as more people would understand it.They wouldn't dare admit they are nudists.

This post was edited

So just checked in for the very first time on this group. it was interesting to me how the original suggestion about creating a religion of nudism might be a way around the current law.
To me, the important point was that someone was thinking about being creative in solving the legal problems of nudists in a way that could be supported ultimately through states and/or US Supreme Court decisions.
Hey, I don't like the idea of another religion either. But unlike some readers, I wasn't getting overrun by my emotional reaction to the writer's proposal. What I remembered was this: I remembered that I asked my friend, a Universal Life minister (purchased through the mail) to perform my first wedding ceremony and it was legal. That in't a religion of conviction as we normally think of religion. It is a religion of convenience.
But as I read down through the comments, and I consider how many hot button issues are wrapped in the concept, I could see how this approach could be very difficult to advance, no matter its merits.
At least within this forum.
One of the writers (I admit, I didn't read every one) seemed to suggest that this was undermining efforts to change the law through the legislative process. It does not seem to me that the two aren't necessarily competing and could be worked on separate paths.
Even so, i do not think that we should limit ourselves to status quo approaches. We need to be creative.
Anyone interested in pursuing this line of discussion?

This post was edited

Why is it that we have an endless discussion on how to circumvent the Law when there is a petition which would give nudists more rights and it only has 102 signatures. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/designate-portions-public-lands-under-management-federal-government-clothing-optional-recreational/rMR1wcCd

This post was edited

Maybe its because Canadians can't sign that petition but they can bloviate here.

This post was edited

Bloviate - Great word. Love it. Very apt.

This post was edited

Bloviate. Truly a great word. I'm afraid, though, that bloviating is not limited to the Canadians or we would have many more signatures on the petition.https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/designate-portions-public-lands-under-management-federal-government-clothing-optional-recreational/rMR1wcCd

This post was edited

So I have been rolling something around in my head that I want to throw out there. First let me tell you all about me (Tim). Marine for 8 years. I think very logical and something that really tweaks me is when people use things the wrong way. For example, clothes are meant to protect you. From the sun, dangers at work an so on. At least that is how I see it.Enough about me. So my idea about getting around the law is to create a religion, I do not know a whole lot about how to do it but I have googled it and found it may actually be pretty easy. Something as simple and worshipping the Christian god but believing that god wanted to us to be nude rather they eat from the tree of knowledge and cover our selves.If I understand my rights, and I may very well not. Would then freedom of religion give us the right to be nude anywhere?Also just a side note, I think that nude protests about things other then nudist rights is offensive.Ok, there was way too much junk not related to your post to read. But I think you are right. If we could start up a religion and say we have to be nude because of it, then in the US I would think they wouldn't be able to stop you. But I think there would be way too many complaints, and way too many legal issues to actually do it.

This post was edited
Skyclad

There already is such a religion - modern Witchcraft / neopaganizm with a very low bar to entry. Wicca is an "official" religion in the US, to the extent that the US has such a thing - a service member can register as a Wiccan, be buried as such, and request chaplain services in accordance with the tradition. Wiccan rituals are frequently performed "slyclad." Might make a better test case than a newly-established Christian-ish sect.
Nonetheless, there's plenty of room for a Christian group's adopting nudism, in the mostly-protestant concept of "justification" - a kind of conversion experience that leaves one free of original sin. Since it was original sin that led, in Genesis, to the "ashamed of their nakedness" transition in the human condition, I suppose nudity could be taken as a manifestation of the justified state, and collective nudity as a religious celebration.

This post was edited