Sign the petition

Someone has just created a "We the people" petition on the White House website advocating the designation of more federal property for nude recreation. (Information and a link to the petition can be found here: https://clothing-optional-access.weebly.com ) If 100,000 people sign the petition by Feb. 11 the federal government will address the issue. I urge everyone to sign the petition. The potential benefits are enormous.
Petitioner #9

This topic was edited
RE: Sign the petition

The petition is here:https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/designate-portions-public-lands-under-management-federal-government-clothing-optional-recreational/15TLkVMJ
Perhaps you think we should do nothing while our clothing optional beaches disappear rather than sign a petition which might help us acquire more places for nude recreation.

This post was edited

"If the petition meets a pre-set signature threshold within a designated time period, the petition will become visible to individuals browsing or searching the White House website. If enough users sign the petition to reach a second pre-set signature threshold within that time period, the White House commits to respond to the petition in a timely fashion. The White House may also elect to respond to any petition before it reaches the first or second threshold. Once the White House responds to a petition, it is closed to additional signatures."
Just follow the links provided if you are interested in the petition. The petition site is moderated and petitions don't show up on the White House website until a pre-set number of signatures are gathered by the interest group promoting it in the first place - that's why you can't go there directly and search. It would be worth letting folks know this is only open to those residing in the USA.
Edit: I was wrong. When you "sign" the petition you must provide a zip code but I used my Canadian postal code and it still let me sign. Weird. Oh, and the magic number is 150. Once the petition has reached 150 "signatures" it will be searchable on the White House page.

This post was edited

If you copy and paste the links provided they will take you to the petition and the website of the fellow who created it. Check it out. Or are you all happy to do nothing and then complain that your clothing optional beaches are being taken away. Come on you guys, let's do a little to try to improve our situation instead of carping because you didn't follow the link and couldn't find the petition by searching for it. It is there, it is real, and it might prove to be very important.

This post was edited

It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

This post was edited

I signed it!

This post was edited

Maybe I have browser problems or something but I could not get to the place to sign it.

This post was edited

I signed it. Why not? Cant hurt to show an interest.

This post was edited

Could a computer savvy person create a clickable link to the site?https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/designate-portions-public-lands-under-management-federal-government-clothing-optional-recreational/15TLkVMJ
There you go people....click away! You must first create an account on the White House site!!
The number has almost doubled over night....come on people....do it!!! But it's still only 89 signatures!!

This post was edited

I have signed and urge everyone to sign. We have few rights as nudists and this is one opportunity to do something proactive.https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/designate-portions-public-lands-under-management-federal-government-clothing-optional-recreational/15TLkVMJ

This post was edited

As the person who uploaded this petition, I'd like to personally thank BillBowser for creating this thread. It's interesting to read some of the replies. Will the petition get the requisite 100,000 signatures? It definitely isn't easy to get that many signatures when the policy makers only allow 30 days to accomplish it. But if nudists/naturists don't step up to the plate and sign then yes, the initiative will fail. We received 16 signatures the first day. Today at last check, we received another 91 so right now we are 43 signatures away from meeting the first threshold of 150 signatures needed to make the petition searchable by anyone, including the national press, who happen to peruse petitions at the "We the People" website.
Currently stewards of federal public lands, notably the National Parks Service and the U.S. Forest Service are not looking out for you. They have not only ignored building public support for more clothing optional access to public lands but are actively reducing access. As Lena Koschmann, Chief Ranger at Fire Island National Seashore stated in the letter announcing the ban on all nudity at Fire Island of February 5, 2013, "National Park Service policies disfavor the designation of clothing optional areas." Americans should not buy into that.
Now, why should you care? That means responsible and respectful people who visited Fire Island beaches for decades to enjoy nude sunbathing now face the prospect of being charged with a class B federal misdemeanor which can result in a fine of up to $5,000 and up to six months imprisonment. Any person going nude in any national park or forest could face the same consequences. Right now enjoying a soak without bathing attire in any of the hundreds of remote natural hot springs found in our national forests could get you a fine of up to $5,000 and up to six months in jail. That's ludicrous! It's outrageous!
Restrictive NPS and FS policies that criminalize simple nudity are a massive problem -- massive. And up until now it's not being addressed. The feds are going to take away what little clothing optional access that remains unless we the people, we the taxpayers say enough is enough. Those who enjoy nude outdoor recreation have as much right to access federally-owned recreational areas for that purpose as off-roaders, snowmobilers, surfers, skiers and hunters who already get the benefit of special designated areas in our parks, forests and national seashore areas.
Right now naturists and nudists are playing a very dangerous game with our rights to live our lifestyle. Many don't want to pay attention. In fact, some don't even know the seriousness of the threat.
The politically correct, ultra-conservative crowd who believes we all need to keep our clothes on at all times unless we are having sex or bathing is well-organized and vocal. They are writing and calling public officials all day, all night. The bureaucrats are listening to them. They are getting clothing optional beaches shut down and it is a big mistake to believe they are going to stop there. Local governments are passing more laws criminalizing simple nudity. The feds are starting to enforce those laws on federally-owned public lands.
There is danger on the horizon for those who enjoy outdoor nude recreation. But are we doing anything about it? Are we trying to counter those who insist we have to all live according to the social principles and values they prescribe? Unless nudists, unless naturists, unless everyone who enjoys clothing optional recreation demand the normalization of simple nudity, all of us are going to get hurt. All of us. It is just a matter of when.
It is unwise to believe that the opponents of nude recreation are going to stop at shutting down clothing optional beaches. Unless you want to live a country where it is the norm to have laws like those on the books in Arkansas where it is unlawful for any person, club, camp, corporation, partnership, association, or organization to advocate, demonstrate, or promote nudism; or to rent, lease, or otherwise permit his or her land, premises, or buildings to be used for the purpose of advocating, demonstrating, or promoting nudism, you might consider taking some action. Signing the WH petition is one way to do that.
Maybe we won't get the 100,000 signatures in time. We won't if enough people refuse to stand up for themselves and say there isn't any use in trying. It's interesting how so many people wave the nudist/naturist flag and dutifully renew their memberships with AANR and TNS every year but won't take three minutes to sign a petition that might actually at the very least get our narrative out on a national forum. The ultra-conservatives count on that you know. They want us to keep quiet and keep our naked bodies safely quarantined behind the privacy fences of our backyards and private clubs.
What happens when they shut down all the clothing optional beaches and turn their attention to forcing your club or resort to register as a "sexually oriented" business? Then they can simply deny your club a permit to operate and close it down too. It has already been tried before and whether you believe it or not, it is already in the works and the chances are good the socially conservative opposition is strong enough this time to get it done. Don't take my word for it. Call the Chairman of the Government Affairs Team at AANR and ask him. Having recently talked with him myself, I am not exaggerating when I say he will tell you some things that should scare the living daylights out of you.
I hope that you will consider standing with us and signing the petition. This is by design a grassroots movement of like-minded people. We didn't ask the national nudist and naturist organizations for support. We are asking individuals like you to work toward a collective goal to do something about normalizing simple nudity in this country. But talk is cheap. We who have signed the petition are willing to act. Are you?
You can view the petition at https://wh.gov/lIUyG or
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/designate-portions-public-lands-under-management-federal-government-clothing-optional-recreational/15TLkVMJ

This post was edited