RE: Sauna on the cruise ship

I don't understand why people keep talking about being naked in a sauna. If the sign says to have a suit, have a suit on. If there is no sign, go nude. Enough said, please don't bore us on this site with this stuff.That was not the point I was trying to make: less than 5 years ago you could be naked in the sauna of Costa cruises, this Summer there was a sign that you had to wear bathing suits. So my question is: what happened in less than 5 years to see nudity suddenly as a taboo? All men had no problem with nudity five years ago. So that's not the issue to have these signs up now...

This post was edited

My old gym had a sauna in the male changing room, so it was fine to be naked and sit on a towel, cool off walking to/from shower naked, nobody cared at all.
My last gym was quite bizarre, it had a sauna in the male changing room, and gang showers (rather than cubicles) so you would be naked with up to 8 others. If you wanted to use the sauna, you were required to wear shorts, so potentially you'd taking them on and off while going from sauna to shower! Personally I refused, I'd just wrap a towel around myself, never had any complaints.

This post was edited

went to Germany a few years ago, the hotel had beautiful indoor pool, gym, steam & sauna. I grabbed a robe from my room, went to the sauna...a sign, in English & German, in from of the door read "Gent's night Monday, 5-6PM. Ladies night Tuesday 5-6PM"
Hmmm, this is a Friday night, as i look on the clothes rack and see a black bikini! I grab a towel, hang my robe up and open the door. the Sauna is big, 20x20ft, two couples, three men, four women.
Gotta love the Europeans.

This post was edited

I was on a cruise in 2004 and as I was getting undressed I still had my underwear on taking my watch off and the attendant said excuse me but nudity is required in the spa area.... I said you really have to tell people that?? This is a male locker room and spa.... when I took my underwear off and he saw I had no tan lines he laughed and said I see you enjoy the sun with out hang ups lol

This post was edited
RE:Sauna on the cruise ship

If I go to a sauna it better be nude on my towel or nude and towel around. If I have to wear anything else I'm just not going to attend/sponsor that location/place . . . Hawk

This post was edited

You are absolutely right. It seems that acceptable nudity has changed in some places over the past few years. I always am nude in the sauna area on ships, and have not seen any changes (Carnival line). I hope it stays that way, but if I see a sign changing it, I will continue on the way I have.

I did notice the change in gyms. I have tried different ones here in Canada, and the one run by our town is the most laid back and accepting. The larger chains are either cover up, or guys looking for more than a sauna.

This post was edited

I'll be on the Celebrity Reflection next month for a 2-week vacation and have booked an Acqua Class stateroom. Looking forward to daily visits to the Persian garden and sauna on board to help relax after a day of touring. A necessary part of a relaxing vacation and opportunity to shed some clothes on a textile vacation.

This post was edited

This is certainly not a health issue (wearing a swimsuit is in fact more likely to carry bacterias rather than being naked).
It most likely the policy of this company. Bad company, change companies.

This post was edited

I never been on a luxury cruise but did serve in the US Navy.

Not sure if it's a cruise ship issue or just men's desire to be nude. I grew up in the 60's and we were required to shower after gym class. This started in junior high in my case. I remember at first trying to skip the shower but the following day the gym teacher mentioned the names of those who didn't shower. Later I did as they told us and was a bit embarrassed being nude in front of other guys. It's the age when most go through puberty; some with some hair, a thick pelt or nothing at all. I was a late bloomer but over time I got over it and no longer had any problems with it. From that point onward I had no problem being nude in the presence of other guys.

There is a point when the schools no longer required showers after gym class; not sure what year that happened but that's the reason for the differing opinions about nudity in the locker room.

This post was edited

Only been on a cruise ship twice.
Princess had signs that nudity was not permitted in the sauna.
Norwegian had the sauna inside the spa, which required a substantial upcharge, so I didn't see it.

This post was edited