RE:Sauna on the cruise ship

i have been on a few cruises and they have men only locker room,steam and sauna..and found that most guys like to go nude in those areas but not everyone some wear a swim suit ..i normally sit on a towel naked when i use the steam and sauna !! i recently been on the royal Caribbean line ovation of the seas and the ship has a mens locker room only but you cant go nude in steam and sauna as its unisex!!!

This post was edited

i recently been on the royal Caribbean line ovation of the seas and the ship has a mens locker room only but you cant go nude in steam and sauna as its unisex!!!

Disappointing to hear that the Ovation of the Seas has unisex steamroom and sauna. The Voyager of the Seas has a sign that says something about dressing appropriately. Nude is appropriate for a sauna. Swimsuits are a problem since people have often been in the spa and pools, and the chlorine comes out in the sauna. Boardshorts are even worse. The sign also said it was 18 years and older. I didn't mind when fathers brought their sons in, so long as they were well behaved. But I wasn't going to cover up just because buys were there. There was never an issue, and never a complaint.

This post was edited

On the Diamond Princess they have a full Japanese bathhouse, including open air baths, where nudity is mandatory. I was a daily visitor, and always enjoyed my naked time. Wish more ships had this facility. I now try to cruise on the Diamond Princess whenever possible.

This post was edited

Only been on a cruise ship twice.Princess had signs that nudity was not permitted in the sauna.Norwegian had the sauna inside the spa, which required a substantial upcharge, so I didn't see it.

Currently on Norwegian.
The costs of extras is so daunting that we have not used the spa so as much as I would like some nude time I cannot say what the situation is.
Just seems to be that everything even down to bottled water comes at an unbelievably high extra cost
Even when you prepay gratuities they automatically add an extra 20percent for gratuity and leave space for you to add more.

This post was edited
RE: Sauna on the cruise ship

I assume, one would have showered before going into the sauna ? Hence negating the bacterial contamination idea !

This post was edited

I have an issue with the gym I go. It used to be complete nude in sauna and hot tub in the men's dressing. Now it is bathing suit only. I still wear a towel into the sauna and sometimes take it off and sit on it. The showers was a group shower room. Now they have partitioned each shower head off with curtains. I asked the management and was told the younger men do not like to have to see the nude older men. Have you ever heard such an excuse to make these kind of changes. I told the management that a survey of the members should be taken to make such a decision to wear a suit or not to wear a suit. I am in America where being nude is not well accepted.

This post was edited

Just got back from a 11 day Mediterranean cruise aboard the Celebrity Reflection. The mens locker room has separate shower stalls and a dry sauna. I used it twice daily and found most men only sat on their towel in the sauna. Thirty five percent of the ship were USA passport holders. From what I encounter, it was the Americans that came into the sauna with swim trunks or a tightly wrapped towel. HA! Beautiful ship, btw, and awesome trip.

This post was edited

I look forward in using the steam room and sauna on a cruise ship, have been on Carnival and Princess and always found them in the locker room near the gym. Never had a problem or being questioned for being naked in the steam room or sauna and being the first naked one in helps others feel more comfortable in doing the same.

When I was on Princess some years ago, there was a sign that said towels or bathing suits were required in the sauna. Did your cruise have a similar sign?

This post was edited

When I was on Princess some years ago, there was a sign that said towels or bathing suits were required in the sauna. Did your cruise have a similar sign?

Its the same at the gyms usually. Well at least at 24 hour fitness.

This post was edited

I also noticed the shift in policy. Years ago the mens locker room of the gym I went to was always nude. There was a hot tub, sauna and steam room in the locker room. All the members were nude in all three. Then I started seeing signs put up requiring swimwear. Personally, I'm much more comfortable using these nude. Eventually they took out the hot tub. I had the sense that some members were offended by the nude body.

This post was edited