Sauna on the cruise ship

Over the years I've had several trips on a cruise ship. Most locker roooms have a sauna only for men. On the ship where I was last week there even was a steam room too. I've cruised with this company a few years ago and practically all men were nude in the sauna without covering up with towels. I guess when you're amongst men there''s no need to be shy and I felt comfortable in that environment.
Last week I was on a ship of the same company. There was a sign that all men entering the sauna had to be 18 or older (which I can understand, even though I don't fully agree. It can be noisy with children in there). But now bathing suits had to be worn at all times! I thought it was completely stupid, especially when it's a sauna exclusively for men.Some men took off their swimming trunks anyway, wearing their towel around their waist. But anyway...Has public opinion about nudity changed this much in only 5 years?! That's a terrible conclusion. What do you think?

This topic was edited
RE: Sauna on the cruise ship

The only thing I can think of is perhaps health regulations, no naked skin on a wet surface, bacteria etc. I'm not saying I agree at all.

This post was edited

I don't think it is health regulations, since on the Bare Necessities cruises the saunas can be used nude. And these cruises are on the regular US-based cruise lines. For Bare Necessities either sex can use either sauna, even though as Fernando said they are in the men's and women's locker rooms.

This post was edited

Over the years I've had several trips on a cruise ship. Most locker roooms have a sauna only for men. On the ship where I was last week there even was a steam room too. I've cruised with this company a few years ago and practically all men were nude in the sauna without covering up with towels. I guess when you're amongst men there''s no need to be shy and I felt comfortable in that environment.Last week I was on a ship of the same company. There was a sign that all men entering the sauna had to be 18 or older (which I can understand, even though I don't fully agree. It can be noisy with children in there). But now bathing suits had to be worn at all times! I thought it was completely stupid, especially when it's a sauna exclusively for men.Some men took off their swimming trunks anyway, wearing their towel around their waist. But anyway...Has public opinion about nudity changed this much in only 5 years?! That's a terrible conclusion. What do you think?

I used to work as a towel boy in a men's only spa - I was always surprised by how many the customers would get through. They'd come up to me and thump a sopping towel on the counter and ask for a new one - I'd ask how the towel got so wet and their answer, invariably, was that they'd worn it in the steam room. When I then told them that we recommended nudity in there, they would be surprised! I'm young, but even I know that the steam room is a place for complete relaxation - it seemed to me that low confidence comes hand in hand with the textile lifestyle...

This post was edited

Firstly check that its official.A sauna I used to attend (part of a council run leisure complex) started to get notices up advising that swimwear was to be worn in the sauna.Attending on a different day the notices weren't there.Asking at reception it seemed that a member of staff printed off and posted the notices because he didn't like seeing naked males in there.

This post was edited

Over the years I've had several trips on a cruise ship. Most locker roooms have a sauna only for men. On the ship where I was last week there even was a steam room too. I've cruised with this company a few years ago and practically all men were nude in the sauna without covering up with towels. I guess when you're amongst men there''s no need to be shy and I felt comfortable in that environment.Last week I was on a ship of the same company. There was a sign that all men entering the sauna had to be 18 or older (which I can understand, even though I don't fully agree. It can be noisy with children in there). But now bathing suits had to be worn at all times! I thought it was completely stupid, especially when it's a sauna exclusively for men.Some men took off their swimming trunks anyway, wearing their towel around their waist. But anyway...Has public opinion about nudity changed this much in only 5 years?! That's a terrible conclusion. What do you think?

This post was edited

This post was edited

I travelled a couple of times with Costa, italian cruising company.
They have also men only sauna in the locker room. There is a sign
that wearing swimwear is obligatory but the guys there are mostly
naked,as they do at the showers as well.

This post was edited

each time I go on a cruise I like to sit on a towel naked while using the steam and sauna rooms..

This post was edited

Over the years I've had several trips on a cruise ship. Most locker roooms have a sauna only for men. On the ship where I was last week there even was a steam room too. I've cruised with this company a few years ago and practically all men were nude in the sauna without covering up with towels. I guess when you're amongst men there''s no need to be shy and I felt comfortable in that environment.Last week I was on a ship of the same company. There was a sign that all men entering the sauna had to be 18 or older (which I can understand, even though I don't fully agree. It can be noisy with children in there). But now bathing suits had to be worn at all times! I thought it was completely stupid, especially when it's a sauna exclusively for men.Some men took off their swimming trunks anyway, wearing their towel around their waist. But anyway...Has public opinion about nudity changed this much in only 5 years?! That's a terrible conclusion. What do you think?I don't know about cruise ships, so this is a very interesting thread. I grew up on military bases, and they all had gyms with saunas and sometimes they had steam rooms, too. All men and boys of all ages, as long as they were military or were a military dependent, they could use them, and everyone was always nude. I imagine it was the same on the women's side of the gym. I can't imagine wearing clothes, and these were my first nudist experiences.
As a swimming coach and lifeguard at the bases' recreation departments, I had access to the base pools after hours, and I often hung out at the base pool and even community pools (in town) nude when they were closed.
I would love to cruise with Bare Necessities. I'm going to have to see if my travel company that I currently represent will book official trips with them.

This post was edited

All cruise lines are different. Some have mixed saunas / steam rooms where costumes are mandatory. Some charge extra for the use of use these facilities. When the facilities are single sex, free or charged, just do as you feel comfortable with. In the sauna I lie / sit naked on a towel. In steam rooms using a towel is not practical so I'm simply naked. I do walk round between the sauna, steam room and shower naked just carrying the towel. Some may choose to clothed, most are naked, but that is their choice just as being nude is your choice.
If in doubt ask and if it's OK to be nude go for it.

This post was edited