the definition of nudity?

this might seem like an odd question but i was discussing it with a nudist friend of mine and it got me wondering about it. its my understanding usually when a nudist is cold they put a shirt on, but would they still be nude if they had a piece of clothing on such as the shirt? and if they are because their just wearing a shirt and considered half a nudist, would they be half a nudist if they were just wearing bottoms? (shorts, pants, etc...) if anyone would like to give their 2 cents worth to this topic/debate, feel free to. i wanna hear what you all think

This topic was edited
RE: the definition of nudity?

Nudism: Nude when possible, clothed when practical, and non-sexual.

Nude when in clothing optional setting or in private. Clothed when needed for warmth or protection, and in clothing compulsory setting. AND non-sexual

This post was edited

If you're asking about definition of nudity - the state of being without clothing, no garments or covering.
IMHO nudism is about de-stressing, relaxing, returning to innocense, clothes-free.

This post was edited

If a man is at the beach and is wearing a Speedo, he is appropriately, if not fully clothed for the circumstances. He might even be fully clothed, vis a vis being at the beach, if he is wearing a thong. At least in France. So basically, the man is not nude until he removes the last two inches of cloth and exposes his genitals. Therefore, in answer to the original question, nudity is genital exposure. At the beach anyway. Of course if you're at the bus stop and expose your genitals, that is not nudity. That is perversion.
But back to the beach - if the man takes off his thong but wears it as a hat to shade his bald head, is he still considered nude? What if he puts on sandals? Sunglasses? I suspect most people would call him nude. Of course, a naked man with a thong on his head will be called many other things as well.
I think you have hit on a cosmic conundrum. In defining nudity, genital exposure is necessary but not sufficient whereas complete absence of covering is sufficient but not necessary. Maybe nudity is the absence of covering between the neck and the ankles. Works for me.

This post was edited

Nudism: Nude when possible, clothed when practical, and non-sexual.
simple...next question...

This post was edited

"For the purposes of this section, a person is nude who is so clad as to offend against public decency or order."

That's from the Criminal Code of Canada. Technically, I could be fully dressed, but if my choice of clothing or the way I wear it offends public decency or order, I could be charged.

I'm exaggerating, of course. Case law must have narrowed the definition somewhat from it's point of departure.

This post was edited

I'm always nude, even if it's under my clothes

Jen

This post was edited

This post was edited

I'm always nude, even if it's under my clothes Jen

Us too. :) It's a mindset rather than a state of being.

This post was edited

thank you to everyone who replied. you all have given me much more than i had asked for and i thank you very much for that as it not only educated me with the answer to my question, but gave me much more insight and knowledge on the topic of nudism. as someone who has yet to experience social naturism in a public setting, i feel like i am new to the whole scene and having all of you help me out with this was truly fantastic. thanks! :)

This post was edited

It's a good question !
From what I've seen, here and at resorts, there is almost always genital involvement before one is considered "nude" per se.
Under Ohio law, exposing the buttocks is also considered nude, even if genitals are not visible.
Personally, I like to run across the wide open field ( about 15 acres ) wearing nothing that I wasn't born with, but generally wear sandals on the gravel roads and such.
Many, mostly women, wear wrap-around sarongs in the "you must be nude" areas without complaints from anyone, so .... ??

This post was edited