Possible use of nudism

Has anyone out there ever decide to get into nudism to fight low
self-esteem, difficulties accepting their body, or other emotional
challenges?
Has anyone out there ever used nudism to nomalize nudity and "detox" theselves, i.e. deflate the ever growing social pressures toward acting sexually as the entertainment industry increases our exposure to full, partial, or implied nudity in movies and ads, creating a constant teasing and stimulation of sexual appetites?

This topic was edited
RE: Possible use of nudism

I didn't get into it because I had low self-esteem, but as others said, it greatly did enhance it. I used to not want to speak up at all...can you believe that?! :)

This post was edited

Thanks for your reply. It seems that the older I get the worse I feel, as I become alienated by an increasing crowd that find people my age "old" and unattractive. As I try to take better care of myself, I also hope that spending some time in the buff will help.

This post was edited

Thank you! very insightful. I've had the experience once. I was terrified to bump into the younger crowd and have "looks". To my surprise that day, there were mosty older people, who cosmetically speaking, could have used a bikini. I was perhaps the youngest that day, and I felt exactly like you describe.
Thanks again.

This post was edited

Actually I can. That was me some years ago. Now I speak in front of small groups. It's sadening to see ow many people suffer not only from low self esteem, but also from distortions of their body image, to the point of developping mental health illnesses, all because of social pressures and attitudes.
Thanks.

This post was edited

I think so. My guess has been that it probably creates a very different sense of Self, much simpler and hopefully healthier. It is what folks who responded so far seem to think.
The othe question would be, once you've gotten used to it, how do you tolerate being in the maine society the rest of the time?

This post was edited

Thank you for confirming my speculative thoughts.

This post was edited

Thank you for confirming my speculative thoughts.

Hi Spbe,

If you're reacting to specific posts and can't post just below them, you may want to use the "quote" function. Otherwise, thanks for your insight.

Nudism has indeed contributed to raising people's self-esteem where body image is concerned. Whether it has actually been prescribed, recommendedor suggested by professionals with this in mind is another matter. Probably not in North America.

This post was edited

Has anyone out there ever decide to get into nudism to fight low self-esteem, difficulties accepting their body, or other emotional challenges?
Nope, I got into nudism because I LIKE to be naked as much as I can, whenever I can, for as long as I can.

This post was edited

Yes - as a former chubby kid I've had persistent body issues, and in clothes have to work against the intrusive, negative, idea that I'm hiding, that if they could see my as I really am, it would be a bad thing. Naked, that evaporates.

This post was edited

• That's kind of my deal.
  • From a philosophical standpoint, I had developed a fascination with nudism since childhood, from the various encounters I'd had with nudists. It just made sense to me to experience life without clothing.
  1. From a mental/emotional health perspective, I wasdealing with self-esteem issues; which in turnedfueled a rather unhealthy voyeurism - which just led to more shame/guilt.
  • So I figured one way to deal with those issueswas to tackle them head-on: by placing myselfin a nude environment, instead of "lurking" from a safe distance. So I headed out to the beach and plopped myself right in the middle. At first, it was difficult; I was completely out of my comfort zone, I was dressed andwas seeing nude people all around me "up close", and I immediately felt a strong sense of shame. I felt like running away; but forced myself to stay still. I was going to go through with it no matter what; and so I disrobed. And I almost had a panic attack. ButI forced myself to stay nude.
  • And then I gradually started relaxing. My shame started dissipating. One nude lady that was sitting nearby smiled at me. And I realized that it was "ok" that I could see her nude; and itwas likewise "ok" that she could see me nude. I left a little while later, happy with my "breakthrough"; but feeling there was one more stepto take.
  1. So I went to a nudist resort a few months later. I disrobed as soon as I left the front office, determined to stay nude the entire time I was there. I "saw" some people; but at that point it didn't matter anymore. I was happy being nude. I exchanged a few words with other nudists, withoutacare about their nudity or mine. I was over the whole "Peeping Tom" thing. These nudists were people just like me; and once you realize that, it's hard to objectify.
  2. So I continuedwith nudist socialization, coming out of my shell, getting to know and befriending other nudists, free of clothes and the mental "crap" I had been wrestling with for so long.
  • With the proper drive/motivation, nudism can be a powerful tool for overcoming shame, physical disabilitiesand other mental/emotional issues. I wish more healthcare professionals realized this.

This post was edited