RE:Light skin color vs The sun

Have never heard of raspberry oil and it being used as a sunscreen, must have a look. Putting on oil and lying in the sun seems contradictory and a bit like girls putting baby oil on their legs at school in the 1970's, many of them got very sun-burned.

Sunscreen is still and option but check out some research that is available about some of the chemicals in them. There is coconut oil with an SPF rating of 30 here in Oz (pretty sure we have a different rating system to the US).

I still think my timing option is reasonable and a gradual build up after winter. I have had good tans the last 2 summer using this method.

This post was edited

I'm happy to say I haven't had to use anything all summer. I take my Sun doses in spurts and have a nice golden all over tan. Natural is the way to go.

This post was edited

Recently I read that sun block causes cancer. The raspberry oil sounds like something I should look into.

Breathing causes cancer.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

The actual aloe vera plant works for me. I tried everything near my panty lines and each time I walked, the burning would turn into blisters. So finally I use the slimy gel from aloe very. Instanty, the pain was gone and I let it dry and it held like a bandage until I took a bath/shower. It rub off like bath soup. It doesn't ruin my clothes if I have to run out. I love it.

This post was edited

Aloe has a great reputation for takes the pain from all burns, especially sun burn, we keep a bottle in the fridge always. Still intrigued by the raspberry oil idea, may have to try it over summer here. I usually take my sun in small doses before midday and after around 4pm and have avoided burning the last couple of years. I rub in sunscreen later to moisturise and just in case there is some burning and it takes the sting out too.

This post was edited

Aloe works well for me for burns. I once was striking a match and the stick broke, such that the burning matchhead ended up raising a blister (2nd degree burn) on my finger. I pinched a leaf off of our aloe vera plant, split it open and rubbed the juice against the burned area. It took away the pain and inflammation so thoroughly that the next day I had to remind myself how I got that blister on the side of my finger.

This post was edited

Recently I read that sun block causes cancer.

What causes cancer (more precisely skin cancer) is over exposure to the sun. Dermatologists recommend sun block because it reduces/filters out the most harmful spectrum of sunlight. Incidentally I had read that vitamin D (created by exposure to the sun) reduces the risk of other cancers. And, as someone said, breathing can cause cancers depending on the air we breath. But nobody suggests we stop breathing.

This post was edited

I'm happy to say I haven't had to use anything all summer. I take my Sun doses in spurts and have a nice golden all over tan. Natural is the way to go.

That's what I have been doing this summer as well. 30 minutes at a time per side. No tan lines and no sun burns. Slow and steady. when I'm out surfing or at a nude beach or resort and in the sun for longer periods then I would use sunscreen frequently. Grew up in the Florida sun before they had sunscreen and because of that I have recently had some skin cancers cut out. Took 50 years to show up. One was severe but none were melanomas or malignant. My doctor said to try and stay out of the sun between 10 and 2. Okay Boss! He doesn't know I'm a nudist. When I get my annual check up it's winter time and barely any tan at all then.

This post was edited

I'm white as a ghost, going to the nude beach I'm always the one who's glowing. Envy those who get darker tans but between my DNA and the time required to build a base, it's just not happening. I also use SPF 50 to keep the whitest parts from becoming bacon. Always feel like a perv applying to my midsection, can't miss a spot and after a while it just seems lewd, lol.

Wife is from PR and actually has some melanin, but that doesn't always protect her. One time she was on the beach while I was in my 30 minute application cycle and was bragging the whole time how she doesn't need it. Well, her tits got SUPER burned by the end of the day. Don't know if she was more in pain from the burn or embarrassed that she was bragging so much.

This post was edited

You need to recognise your own skin type, and apply sunscreen accordingly. Once you become a regular sunbather your skin may well adapt, and your tolerance increase. I read that men should not forget to apply sun lotion to their ears, which are always exposed, but usually forgotten.

This post was edited