Cited for indecent exposure!

Hey all, I also posted this in a hiking group forum but just noticed this section so I'm reposting... I've been exploring SW florida and looking for places to safely hike nude. A few days ago I pulled into a national preserve that is in the middle of nowhere and very infrequently visited. I was already nude in the car when I pulled up, and there were no other cars in the lot, no people present, and nobody attending the property. So I got out of the car nude to look at the trail map. I happened to look up and noticed a trail cam pointed right at me, so I immediately turned around, got back in my car, and put on my shorts. I guess it was pretty stupid of me not to consider that there would be abundant trail cams, but I did nothing offensive and immediately covered up when I realized.

3 days later I received a call from a conservation officer who had pulled my license plate off the camera, found my contact info, and was issuing me an indecent exposure citation. He repeatedly said that the law stated that nudity on federal land is strictly prohibited, and despite my pleas he refused to give me a break. I haven't received the ticket in the mail yet, so I don't know how much the fine is, but I really don't want to pay this, nor do I want indecent exposure on my record when that was clearly not the case!

In my research I have found no example of this law, most everything I read says the laws are very vague and there has to be lewd or sexual behavior/intent, or that the individual refuses to cover up in front of other people in order for this to be an offense.

I welcome any advice here. While I'm most likely just going to pay this ticket since I can't imagine the embarrassment of standing in a full court room to defend this, I'd really like to know if I have any other options.

Thanks everyone, be safe!

UPDATE: I heeded the advice of several people here and I contacted the AANR. Not only were they interested in helping, one of the directors is a local practicing lawyer in the district this case was appointed to. They were able to contact the District Attorney and get him/her to agree to recommend dropping the case. Then they proceeded to get approval from the court clerk to represent me at the hearing, without me needing to be present. They sat in court all day for me, because it was the last case heard and the ONLY one for the entire day that was dismissed. Amazing...

All of this was done free of charge to me in return for simply letting everyone know how great AANR is, and to encourage everyone to join!

Thanks again to everyone for all of the advice and interest, this all turned out way better than I could have hoped.

This topic was edited
RE:Cited for indecent exposure!

Pay the fine.

Internet advice tends to be worthless.

This post was edited

Pay the fine.Internet advice tends to be worthless.

Including, one would imagine, the advice to pay the fine instead of consult someone who knows the law better...

This post was edited

Only a lawyer can tell you if have any other realistic options. Since there's camera evidence that you were alone with no intent to expose yourself to others, and not being lewd, you might have a fair chance of getting the ticket dismissed. It would be a noble deed, of course, for you to go to court to get the issue settled.

This post was edited

Contact AANR for legal help and advice. Of any state in the union, they're very influential in Florida.

This post was edited

So sorry to read this. I stay go to court; as they might not even show up to argue it. Id explain the law as you understand it and what you did to ensure you were trying to be compliant.

This post was edited

I'd always understood that there are NO anti-nudity laws on federal land, whereas state land usually has such laws.

I hope you get with a lawyer, and if you could get him/her to clarify that position, we'd all like to know the legal details!

This post was edited

You shouldnt feel any embarrassment about defending yourself against this nonsense. Doing so is tantamount to admitting wrongdoing. What you did is entirely harmless, and should be vigorously defended.

The Florida statute reads:

Chapter 800.03, Exposure of sexual organs. It is unlawful to expose or exhibit one's sexual organs in public or on the private premises of another, or so near thereto as to be seen from such private premises, in a vulgar or indecent manner, or to be naked in public except in any place provided or set apart for that purpose.

Which may be enforced on Federal property in a Florida. There is no Federal law prohibiting nudity on Federal property.

If you werent behaving in a vulgar or indecent manner you may be OK, but the last part, or to be naked in public except in any place provided or set apart for that purpose. is problematic.

Good luck, and let us know how this turns out.

This post was edited

Before the panic you need to understand what you are being violated with. Hard to do more without knowing what section is used.

This post was edited
RE:Cited for indecent exposure! Me too!

Being nude in public but not at a place specifically intended for nude use is itself not the wisest thing to do. If it goes to court, you risk the possibility of getting a judge who throws the book at you and makes you register for life as a sex offender or worse.

Like others have already suggested, I also suggest you consult an attorney, who will likely tell you to pay the fine and don't do that again. You're not going to receive the kind of sympathy you do here when facing a judge, jury, lawyer, etc.

Either way, what you did was irresponsible. That's the kind of behavior that sets our "movement" (if there is such a thing) back.

This post was edited
RE:Cited for indecent exposure! Me too!

In light of these two incidents, and one we recently had here at More Mesa beach in California where a citation was issued, its probably wise to be more careful than usual when nude on public lands, beaches, trails, etc. Not because they are out looking to enforce anti-nudity regulations primarily, but in the current climate there are just more police/sheriffs/rangers assigned to these areas reminding people to follow social distancing requirements. So collaterally, if you also happen to be nude in an area where its technically illegal, dont be surprised if you get a citation, which is what happened out here.

This post was edited