RE:camping nude in a nonnude campground

What do you do about those critters that LOVE open available flesh of all kinds - ie, those pesky mosquitoes! They are not too bad during the day, but come evening time, they are out to "kill"!

For mosquitoes (and black flies), try https://www.thermacell.com/ . They work as long as there is nothing beyond a very gentle breeze (Put it upwind). I first used one (the MR150) on a trip to the BWCA in northern minnesota. I was sceptical at first, but a gentleman coming off the lakes as we were preparing to leave highly recommended it, so we bought one. I was greatly impressed. We would put it under the upside down canoe we were using as a table in camp. Not only got rid of the mosquitos, but also stopped the black files from biting our ankles. I have since bought two more of the Cambridge Mosquito Repellent Patio Shield Lanterns to use on my back porch. Bye-bye mosquitoes.

They are also available at walmart.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

It was misty/raining all weekend, that helped a lot in my case. We were bitten a few times, but I didn't get any where the sun doesn't shine.

This post was edited

No, nudity is NOT illegal in all National Forests and BLM lands. It is prohibited in developed sites and 'areas of concentrated public use". Supervisor Orders (FS) and District Managers (BLM) may include other places, and with shared jurisdiction local ordinances may be in place.
That said, there are millions of acres where being naked is not prohibited, and even more where it isn't enforced. You would not be cited in designated Wilderness. Indeed, BLM has recognized nudity is acceptable in southern California wilderness.
I am a retired ranger. Federal officers can only cite for nudity based on a complaint, not on personal observation. So if you are hiking in wilderness or camping at a remote backcountry site, enjoy.

This post was edited

No, nudity is NOT illegal in all National Forests and BLM lands. It is prohibited in developed sites and 'areas of concentrated public use". Supervisor Orders (FS) and District Managers (BLM) may include other places, and with shared jurisdiction local ordinances may be in place.That said, there are millions of acres where being naked is not prohibited, and even more where it isn't enforced. You would not be cited in designated Wilderness. Indeed, BLM has recognized nudity is acceptable in southern California wilderness.I am a retired ranger. Federal officers can only cite for nudity based on a complaint, not on personal observation. So if you are hiking in wilderness or camping at a remote backcountry site, enjoy.

I've had first hand experience in both these area; National Forests/Parks and BLM land. In both places, including several state parks, I/we've been nude and approached by rangers. In each case, these rangers were knowledgeable, non threatening, professional and courteous. I, myself, have had two separate conversations with a male and a female ranger that spoke to me in Death Valley, both in the National Park and on adjacent BLM land. They were in their trucks, initially, then exited and stood and spoke with me about various things about the parks and land. I was nude, they obviously were not. Their only concern was that I was out there alone. When I assured them that I was in radio contact with my group and I was not venturing out too far, they both said, "have a nice day out here and enjoy yourself."

Off roading and hiking on BLM land about 2.5 hrs from our home in a state park, rangers we've encountered, both my wife and I, were greeted with professionalism and courtesy. They too were knowledgeable of the laws. While hiking, they wanted to ensure we had plenty of water and something to eat and asked about our destination. They asked this so they could alert us of places not to venture while nude and to keep track of us being out there should we not return to the place we were staying. Each of these encounters with National Park Rangers and State Park rangers, have been, so far, positive.

This post was edited

I thought I'd answered this before, but maybe it was on another thread. So here goes:

Please refer to this web site:

https://www.boondockersbible.com/knowledgebase/is-nude-camping-legal-on-federal-lands/

It's the best summary of the legal status of nudity on federally managed public land. It actually cites the regulations by number, which indicates that they've done some research into the question.

In short, nudity is considered a matter of regulation, not law. Therefore, while there is no law forbidding nudity on public land per se, there are plenty of regulations about it, mostly dealing with what the local authorities wish to consider "lewd or lascivious behavior."

As the previous poster pointed out, most rangers don't feel it necessary to prosecute nude people, although they are well within their rights to ask you to put clothes on if they decided to press the matter. So it just depends on which ranger you meet on which particular day at which particular site.

California's laws regarding their property are a bit murkier, it seems. It all hinges on the definition of "lewd or lascivious behavior." The way I read it, lewdness is in the eye of the beholder. So if somebody is beholding you and isn't aroused by the sight, you're fine. But if they are aroused, then you're guilty of a crime. It seems strange to be punished for somebody else's reaction to your nudity, but evidently that's what the law reads.

This post was edited