Cover ups

Hey my fellow free hikers, I've been exploring options for a quick cover-up, should I encounter clothed hikers. I'm interested to hear what everyone is using. Share yours. Thx

This topic was edited
RE:Cover ups

I made my own using black poly material purchased at a local fabric store. Cut a rectangular piece 50" x 8", hemmed the edges and attached a velcro fastener on the top side. Lightweight, dries easily and can put on in seconds. I have seen some similar designs on Amazon but of heavier cotton material and longer in length. I like mine as I can have it on at the beach and once I am in the water take it off and then put it back on before coming back out.

This post was edited

My attempt at using a long polo shirt failed miserably as I was way too slow in clumsily pulling it over my head! Received a chuckle in response rather than disgust, at least.

The only alternative I can think of to a wrap skirt or kilt, as above, is a full-size sarong folded in half with a knot tying two of the corners. Put your head and one arm through the resulting hole and you'll be covered in a one-shouldered garment, subject to any breeze which may defeat the fabric if blowing from the open side! It also may not work if you have a backpack - or perhaps it shall. I can't recall who to credit with demonstrating it on this site, perhaps Johngw or Ollygrumps.

This post was edited

Another possible enhancement for the wrap skirt/kilt would be to use magnets to close it rather than Velcro, especially if you're concerned about Velcro sticking where it shouldn't, like your nice lightweight fabric.

This post was edited

I use the body wrap towel that PnP mentions. Easy to put on and take off and it rolls into a small item I can carry in my hand while walking. I carry it around even at the nudist resort as my sitting towel since it is so easy to hold.

This post was edited

I use a turkish towel. Lightweight. Natural cotton. Dries quickly. All kinds of cute colours available. I'll just throw it over my shoulder or loop it thru a backpack strap for quick-draw access.

This post was edited

My attempt at using a long polo shirt failed miserably as I was way too slow in clumsily pulling it over my head! Received a chuckle in response rather than disgust, at least.The only alternative I can think of to a wrap skirt or kilt, as above, is a full-size sarong folded in half with a knot tying two of the corners. Put your head and one arm through the resulting hole and you'll be covered in a one-shouldered garment, subject to any breeze which may defeat the fabric if blowing from the open side! It also may not work if you have a backpack - or perhaps it shall. I can't recall who to credit with demonstrating it on this site, perhaps Johngw or Ollygrumps.

I think it was Ollygrumps.

This post was edited

Great topic. I have very thin full split running shorts that I cut at the crotch and at one hip where I put Velcro tabs. I made a thin but strong enough bungee cord for around my waist. Then I fed that through the drawstring. To deploy, I release the hip and crotch and ball up the fabric on the shaded side. Covering up ends up looking more like a kilt because it is awkward to Velcro the crotch again. I hope to fix this system or try something else. Watching for your suggestions.

This post was edited

Honestly, when hiking nude, I don't carry any emergency cover-up with me. First, I choose areas where I am extremely unlikely to meet anyone, and I hike in the middle of the week, knowing that more people are out on weekends. That said, I hike with no guilt. I'm minding my own business in the natural world, so I simply don't worry about it.

This post was edited

Great topic. I have very thin full split running shorts that I cut at the crotch and at one hip where I put Velcro tabs. I made a thin but strong enough bungee cord for around my waist. Then I fed that through the drawstring. To deploy, I release the hip and crotch and ball up the fabric on the shaded side. Covering up ends up looking more like a kilt because it is awkward to Velcro the crotch again. I hope to fix this system or try something else. Watching for your suggestions.
You should be fine with the open crotch unless it is so short that things stick out.

This post was edited

Honestly, when hiking nude, I don't carry any emergency cover-up with me. First, I choose areas where I am extremely unlikely to meet anyone, and I hike in the middle of the week, knowing that more people are out on weekends. That said, I hike with no guilt. I'm minding my own business in the natural world, so I simply don't worry about it.
This is exactly my approach. I used to carry shorts in my pack strap but, one time, I caught my boot on them as I tried to put them on and looked foolish (I'm sure) as I scrambled to cover. The small group of three saw me dancing around on one foot and laughed, saying that was unnecessary. Ever since then, the shorts stay in the pack.

This post was edited