The church and nudism

I have been searching but there is a lot of contradicting information. What are the churches views on nudism? And are any of you Catholics?

This topic was edited
RE:The church and nudism

These have been interesting comments, and I would like to add one that most people may not realize is that Jesus was also crucified nude. Remember the guards (centurions) gambled over who get the robes from Jesus.

This post was edited

The Pope may be the closest to a global spokesman for Christianity, but Christian views of nudism vary greatly. An example of the range is between Jesus who stripped himself naked, covered himself to wash his friends feet and then stripped again to dry them (consider the symbolism and bonding effect)

" (Jesus) riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. After that he poureth water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded."(John 13:4-5)

And Paul:
"...this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from unchastity, that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor , not in the passion of lust like heathens who do not know God" (1 Thessolonians 4:3-5).

Paul doesn't say that unchastity=nudity, but many understand that is implied. My Protestant church focused more on Pauls teaching over Jesus, and was definitely anti-body, pro-repression. Perhaps its easier to build numbers by making people afraid of themselves and their bodies.

This post was edited

I posted this on another thread in the forum a couple of days ago, but it seems appropriate here, too. Not geared for Catholics, exactly, but for Catholics and others who think as ecumenical and as "progressive".

Here it is:

Most churches don't have an "official" statement on "nudism" as such: at least as far as I know. I'm a Christian clergy-person who would live naked 24-7 if I could, though I have yet to preach or lead worship naked. Though I'd be willing to, if the occasion were to present itself.

I know of a number of clergy who are members of this on-line social networking organization and of others that I occasionally participate in.

I've visited a number of clothing optional venues and almost always eventually find a few other clergy of different denominations floating around: Anglican, Mennonite, Orthodox, Lutheran, Evangelical Protestant, for instance. I know that Pope John Paul II has written positively about the naked human body, and without disapproval of being naked socially, and with members of the other sex.

When I talk with other Christian nudists of any denomination, I find that we've almost all had to work through issues of sexuality, attraction to people we're not married to, being naked around children, and a number of other things that our sexually repressive culture has gotten us confused about. I think for most of us, being socially naked in a venue where it's accepted -- a resort or a beach -- has been a helpful and important part of making our peace with ourselves as people with bodies: complete with all the functioning body parts!

What's most important is not what position one's church may hold on "social nudism". And what's important is not "what God thinks". I believe that God does not care whether men and women are naked in each others presence: what God cares about is that we be careful to respect each other, and not to exploit each other. And one does not need to be naked to be exploitative of another person.

If you're a person who practices Christianity -- or any other religion -- I would encourage you to relax, and not to worry about the "official viewpoint on nudism" of your denomination is, or whether or not "God approves." Just relax and enjoy the experience. Pay attention to thoughts, feelings, emotions, and remember that these are internal experiences and that they shift "with the wind". And be self-aware enough that you're careful about how you act.

Peace,

NB

This post was edited

Brilliantly written and expressed NakedBadger. Thankyou

This post was edited

Some very interesting views posted above! At a more prosaic level we have known at least three clergy, two Church of England one of whom is a woman and one Roman Catholic, who are committed naturists and they have no problems of any conflict between their religion and work and their naked recreation.

This post was edited

What were some of the scripture passages the priest used to aid the practice of nudism? I haven't seen anything to oppose nudism either; there is no commandment that says "Thou shalt not go naked." The Bible does speak of modesty, but that deals with the way we dress. What say you?

This post was edited

If you really want to belong to a church, I guess pastafarianism is the best option for all of us.

This post was edited

In our opinion it is not so much about a certain religion and it's views, it is more about the attitude of society in general. My wife and I are both active practicing Catholics and we are not ashamed to admit our nudist lifestyle when we are approached by someone. We have stood right in the church doors having conversations about nudity and nudist living. I guess every time someone tells me it is wrong or non-chrisitian, I reply that god made all of us in his image. God does not make mistakes. So what you are saying that he screwed up so bad making the human body that we need to cover it up with clothing?
Too many confuse lust and sexuality with nudism. Any of us that are involved in social nudism will know that those do not need to go together. We live as many days of our summer months in a nudist community and thoughts of lust rarely cross your mind. We seem to have the best casual conversations laying naked poolside without the false coverup of the textile world. We find a large percentage of our nudist people are present or past Catholics.

This post was edited

Here are my questions:

Why were Adam and Eve ashamed of the bodies God created?

Should they not be ashamed of their disobedience?

Bob

This post was edited

We have more than one paster in the group. Churches do not have any official views on nudism and opinions vary with each paster or leader so at this point I dont care.

This post was edited