RE: Nudism vs exibitionism

That really is dumb. If your idea of "enjoying" being nude involves sex, then you are part of the problem of the equation of nudity with sex that nudism faces.

Who said anything about sex? Where are you getting this? I'm talking about hiking or swimming or whatever in a natural state and not feeling like I'm doing anything wrong. I'm talking about promoting wholesome natural recreation, like the boating couple I described.

You appear to buy into the idea that nudity is something to be ashamed of and that everone who doesn't share your view is a pervert.

This post was edited

Being naked is not nudism. It's a mindset and attitude.
This would suggest that there are nudists who never take their clothes off. Maybe I'm not "spiritual" enough, but I've got to believe that being naked is one of the defining characteristics of nudism.

This post was edited

It's simply a matter of using the appropriate word for the appropriate activity. An Amazonian tribe may go nude, but calling the members nudists would be inaccurate. Likewise, everyone may be nude at a swinger party, but calling the participants nudists would be inaccurate. Mardi Gras participants flashing breasts and penises may be having silly and ultimately harmless fun, but calling them nudists would be inaccurate. Nudism represents nonsexual social nudity with participants from all age groups. When you introduce sexual elements, and make it an 18+ activity, it becomes something else. It may be healthy and fun and wonderful, but it isnt nudism. I dont think anyone is arguing that nudists are required to be prudish creatures that deny human sexuality. But every possible activity that involves nudity cannot be tossed under the umbrella of nudism, any more than every activity that involves a belief in a supreme being can be tossed under the umbrella of Catholicism, Judaism or any other religion. Just use the right word nudist, swinger, exhibitionist, or whatever and avoid all the confusion!
The problem is in thinking these things are all mutually exclusive. If you are a swinger, you can't be a nudist. If you are an exhibitionist, you can't be a nudist. And that simply isn't true.

This post was edited
Nudist, Natralist, etc etc....

I call my self a Nudist, mainly because thats the easiest way to describe things I enjoy doing, i dont spend 24/7 Naked,the sameas probably most of us.
In my opinion, the nudism Culture is making things harder for themselves rather than easier, I regulary read articals about how the average age of "Nudists" is in the mid 40-s to 50s, and then when you want to go to a resort and you are a "Single" male (Im not single, I am married with 3 kids, but to Nudist resorts I am classified as single because my wife isnt into the nudist lifestyle) you cant join.
Why put lables on things, eg what exactly is a nudist? I bet you that if there was a list saying that you are a nudist if..... not even 50% of people who call themselves nudists would fill all the criteria.
When i am on a Textile beach, I like to recieve attention from the oppisite sex, and I like alot of what i see, does this make me a voyour? or an exabistionist (exuse the spelling) no. It makes me a perfectly normal human, so why is it if I go to a nudist beach, Im not allowed to enjoy people looking at me, or admire the beauty of the female form?
On a textile beach you see couples hugging, kissing, playing in the water etc etc, and im pretty sure im not speaking just for myself even when doing non-sexual things i occasionaly get an erection. god theres been a few times ive just been driving down the road and found myself with an erection, for no particular reason. Yet going by the line of Nudism, these actions would be unaceptable because it may be percieved as sexual.
to me been a nudist is to do the same things that you do every day, just without clothes on, when I was in surfers paradise over new years, probably half the time I was in the hotel I was naked, as too was my non nudist wife, we didnt go into the hallways or anything naked, but the outside balcony we did. Now because me and my wife had sex while spending time in the nude does that make me a non-nudist? but then again there would be a number of times me and my wife have had sex while fully clothed too.
In closing, a nudist to me is been more comfortable without clothes than with clothes (obviously in suitable enviroments eg not in a daycare centre, walking though a shopping mall etc) Trying to say that if you are a nudist your not something elseis like saying if your english you cant have any scottish/irish/welsh in you....

This post was edited

112 posts later and this debate is still continuing. Nothing new is coming up anymore, I think we have nearly debated this one to death as well as provide anyone out there a definition for both nudism and exhibitionism which suit the individual's particular morality. Has anyone got something new to add to this thread which will enlighten us all?

This debate will never come to a conclusion, because most of the , I'm naked so must be a nudist people are brain dead.
What a well thought out, intelligent argument. I feel enlightened.

This post was edited

Well put. You do have the world of TN summed up quite nicely!

This post was edited

It always strikes me odd that people want to make this mutually exclusive. If you're an exhibitionist, then you're not a nudist! How silly! Sexual preferences are not about nudism! We all know nudism is not about sex, so anyone who enjoys sex is not a nudist? Being a nudist means you like to be naked, it's not about why you like to be naked. A group of nudists is like any other group of people, there's going to be a whole lot of differences. Voyeurs, exhibitionists, swingers, foot fetishits, as long as everyone follows the social rules of nudism, what does it matter. Nudists tend to spend a lot of time excluding people and then wonder why there aren't more nudists.
Some people are only comfortable in a world of black and white, when in reality the world is filled with shades of gray. We can pity them or curse them, but as long as they don't try and color my world, I pretty much ignore them.

This post was edited

OK my 2 cents worth plain and simple.
Nudism, just being yourself and enjoying your surroundings.
Exhibitionism, trying to be the center of everyone else s world.

This post was edited

Completely agree with you! Great comment.

This post was edited

This debate will never come to a conclusion, because most of the , I'm naked so must be a nudist people are brain dead.
Just so. Being naked no more makes one a nudist than dining in a restaurant makes one a chef.
And as long as there are clueless people who equate nudism with exhibitionism, the argument will continue.

NIM, you summed it up nicely.

This post was edited