Ancient Olympics

We all know that the athletes competed, trained and received their awards nude.
I wonder if they dressed at all during the Olympic timeframe or just stayed nude (unless it got too cold at night).
Has anyone else had the same thought?
Does anyone know the answer?

This topic was edited
RE:Ancient Olympics

Ive read a few books on the ancient world and while nudity was common naturism is never mentioned as a thing.

They seemed to be happy to be nude socially while bathing and competing In athletics but Ive never come across any story where people lived nude.

Im playing AC Odyssey a PS4 game set in Ancient Greece, I notice the other day that there are many full frontal statues of the male gods, but non of the female gods, an occasional bare breasted statue only, I pointed this out to Lorna, she says the programmers must visit the same naturist beaches as us.

This post was edited

From what I have read, all athletes were nude all of the time at the Olympics. Additionally, women attended the games to choose prospects for husbands. How is THAT for a lifestyle?

Do you remember where you read that all athletes were nude all the time?
I tried to find information on whether they were nude or not when not actively competing or training and couldn't find anything.

This post was edited

Pottery of the time depicts naked males performing In many athletic events.
(No women)

I read that the games were male only and far from women choosing suitors they were actually forbidden from spectating. Other scholars may disagree, but thats the only references Ive read.

This post was edited

There are several website out there that delineate all that went on. Below is the link to one of them:https://www.neatorama.com/2008/08/02/10-fascinating-facts-about-the-ancient-olympic-games/

This web site does not mention their state of dress or undress when not competing or training. Have you found any that do?

This post was edited

I've read that it was a thing to go down to the gym to watch athletes train, from which I gather that they were not generally naked elsewhere. Greece was by no means a nudist or sexual free-for-all; standards of dress and conduct were quite strict; the bawdiest of the vase paintings and whatnot were essentially jokes, mocking the people depicted for their lack of self-control - self-control being a very high value indeed. It was symbolized in art by the restrained depiction of the male genitalia of Greeks, in contrast with those of the foreigners depicted, and by the heavy robes of the Greek female images, which is how they were always depicted in early classical times.

This post was edited

Imagine if the Olympics were to reintroduce the old standards of naked athletic competitions again - what a disaster that would be for Nike, Adidas and many other manufacturers of sport apparel. But what a delight for all us nudists. Even I might start attending the Olympic Games ...

This post was edited

Clothes or garments in ancient Greece were essentially hand grown, woven, sewn and cared for, making them a valuable status item. . On the other hand, the climate was mild that they weren't always necessary. Therefore, they had a more functional purpose as did nudity. Manual labor was often performed naked by farmers, laborers and fisherman (such as Peter in the New Testament). I imagine that Olympic athletes wore clothes according to the social setting and status. They were not afraid to be naked, nor did they want to do the equivilant of wearing cargo shorts and a tshirt to a black tie dinner.

This post was edited

Clothes or garments in ancient Greece were essentially hand grown, woven, sewn and cared for, making them a valuable status item. . On the other hand, the climate was mild that they weren't always necessary. Therefore, they had a more functional purpose as did nudity. Manual labor was often performed naked by farmers, laborers and fisherman (such as Peter in the New Testament). I imagine that Olympic athletes wore clothes according to the social setting and status. They were not afraid to be naked, nor did they want to do the equivilant of wearing cargo shorts and a tshirt to a black tie dinner.

I was thinking mainly about the time they spent at the Greek equivalent of the Olympic Village, training before the games and between competitions.

This post was edited

It is not so simple. Male athletic nudity also had "decency" codes.
It sounds ridiculous now, but public exposure of the glans of the penis was considered by the ancient Greeks to be dishonorable and shameful, something only seen in slaves and barbarians. Modesty and decency demanded that men who appeared naked in public, such as athletes or actors, conceal their glans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kynodesme

The use of the kynodesme may also have contributed to the natural elongation of the foreskin, which was considered desirable.

Many foreign competitors in the games were easily recognized by their circumcision or other "indecent" nudity manners.

This post was edited

Along a similar line, some scholars believe that Jewish men who were crucified wore a small loincloth while other victims were crucified fully nude. This was not to give victims less embarrassment, but so that bypasses would not experience the discomfort of seeing a circumcised penis.

This post was edited