RE:Did you tell the Dermatotogist you're a nudist?

OK.Mensa,Grandpa had a saying,When teaching a pig to sing, you accomplish 2 things. 1. You waste your time, 2. You annoy the pig ;-)Please be the adult here and drop it.

This post was edited

Re: Colonoscopy

The prep procedure seems to change each time. I'm pretty good about what I eat anyway, and I always go on a liquid diet a day before they say I need to. There's really nothing left to rinse out -- but I still do all the stuff they ask. The extra day of liquid diet makes it more pleasant for me and I'm totally clean inside for them.

I've had three of them. At the first one, the male nurse did all the usual stuff, told me to strip, and left. I stripped, couldn't find a gown, and figured it didn't matter. When he returned, I was standing at the window (third story, glass mirrored on the outside), taking in the scene. He said, nonchalantly matter-of-factly, "Oh, let's get a gown on you." He found a gown and helped me put it on. No big deal, no incident, nothing.

Second time, there was a gown left out in plain view. I put it on. Whatever.

Keep in mind, it was several years between each of these. Different nurses each time.

The third time, there were two female nurses. VERY uptight. Humorless. Very tense. Stressful.

They made a big deal about the gown. Waving it around. Deliberately setting it down in plain view. Explaining that the opening goes in the back. "Your gown in RIGHT here." Must have told me three times to put it on. They left, I stripped and put the grown on. Whatever.

They are always trying to put socks on my feet. I have to refuse repeatedly. No problem that I arrive barefoot and leave barefoot, but they want me to have socks on while I'm up on the gurney. Makes no sense.

I also have to refuse sedation at least a dozen times. Everyone wants to sedate me for a procedure that takes less time than a routine dental cleaning and is much less of a bother. If you get sedated, that's totally ok with me, none of my concern, but I don't see the point in it.

They do put in an IV line just in case -- but they never hook anything up to it.

During the procedure, your ass is hanging out -- obviously. I'm guessing that's an issue for textiles and that's why so many of them get sedated for an uncomplicated, simple, painless, 20-minute procedure. And they miss the fascinating cave exploration movie.

This post was edited

I get sedated because I really don't want to be awake when a tube is being pushed up my butt and taking pictures.

This post was edited

It's considerably less of an ordeal than getting your teeth cleaned. The "hose" is not even half an inch in diameter.

If you do not get sedated, then when the procedure is over, you just get dressed and go on about your business. No prolonged stay while you come out of sedation. No need to have someone drive you home. No activity restrictions for 24 hours. Nothing. Except for having to get dressed, it's just like walking out of a dental office after a dental cleaning.

Some insurance companies have already begun refusing to pay for sedation for a routine colonoscopy unless there is some specific medical justification for it.

This post was edited

I agree, cool cave video ;-)

The first time I had sedation, I was so far under I was almost 4 hours late departing the hospital and brain not functioning normally for 2 days after. When I finally came to the nurses looked terrified. I found out later from Mom (Docs agree) it may be hereditary because my Dad had issues with sedation also. I told the VA docs about it with documentation of what I was given, they cut the dose way back saying they could give me more if needed. I remained conscious through the procedure. There was some discomfort and minor brief pain, But as you said I have suffered worse at the dentist.

I had a couple small polyps, it was cool how they removed them. Lay a hoop over it them grab the polyp with the suction tube, pull a bit and tighten the hoop and apply electricity to heat it up and burn the polyp off, the polyp disappears down the suction tube.

This post was edited

Not sure how this thread progressed from Dermatologist visits to Colonoscopies, but that is a topic I know quite a bit about since I am coming up on my 20th one next year. I do get sedated for mine, but not anesthetized. The sedation is fully reversible with a second injection and you wake up while still in the exam room. Anesthesia puts you fully out and I can see why you wouldnt want that for something as simple as a Colonoscopy. Only one time I was awake for part of the procedure and got to watch the movie as the tube was on its way back out. I think that was the same visit where I was asked if it was okay for trainees to observe the procedure. Three or four female interns or nurse trainees stood in the corner and watched. I am given two gowns. The inner one is worn with the opening in the back and then an outer one worn more like a bathrobe over it until just before we head into the exam room.

Mrs. J&C does pick me up so I dont have to drive home, but Im fine to walk out and spend the rest of the day at home (not allowed to go to work after being sedated). Mrs. J&C will be getting her first one this year so Ill get to be the one who comes in to pick her up after the procedure.

Getting back to Dermatologist visits, I just had my bi-annual exam and didnt know to ask about a full body exam. I had a skin tag removed and was told to come back next year rather than waiting 2, so I guess I will ask if I should get the full body exam when I set up the appointment.

This post was edited

This has a been a wonderful thread as it continues on its own positive energy meandering from skin tags to autism spectrum to tubes up ones' ass and proctologists' anesthesia. I appreciate everyone's wisdom and insight.
I'm no doctor and labels mean little to me. Some who are reading may have the background to make qualified diagnosis of others, but no one can do so without offering a full examination. That's why asking questions and sharing experiences has worked so well in maintaining civility and dialogue.
My 17 year old son who is nudist-friendly has been diagnosed as on the autism spectrum, but the psychiatrists didn't all settle on that diagnosis among themselves. They did agreed on something called oppositional defiance disorder. If you put that in layman's terms regarding singing pigs it means: 1) you can't get a pig to sing 2) it annoys the hell out of them 3) the freedom of nudity and the nonjudgmental demeanor of nudists can be transformational 4) people only change on their own terms 5) it's that time of year for my son to sing Joy to the goddamned world, so bring out the roast beast!

And what happened then?
Well in Who-ville they say
That the Grinch's small heart
Grew three sizes that day!
And the minute his heart didn't feel quite so tight,
He whizzed with his load through the bright morning light
And he brought back the toys! And the food and the feast!
And he
HE HIMSELF!
The Grinch carved the roast beast!

This post was edited

Getting back to Dermatologist visits, I just had my bi-annual exam and didnt know to ask about a full body exam. I had a skin tag removed and was told to come back next year rather than waiting 2, so I guess I will ask if I should get the full body exam when I set up the appointment.

Were you nude during the entire exam or did you have some cover that the doctor removed or pulled aside?

This post was edited

No I did not.

This post was edited

No I did not.

Does he check your complete body anyway, including the area where most people don't get sun?

This post was edited