Naturism

In the way I interpret naturism, it means being natural and living naturally, free of adornment. While I bend to some social norms and do basic grooming, shaving off all my body hair just does not fit with what I consider naturism. Besides, there are a lot of other things I would rather be doing than shaving myself. That said, to each their own, just as long as you are naked and enjoying life.

This topic was edited
RE:Naturism

I think you accidentally omitted the word "not" in your second sentence. As my teacher of Early Church History at Cambridge commented, many years ago, "The word 'not' is very important and it is as well not to overlook it."

This post was edited

Thanks for the catch. You were correct.

This post was edited

I agree. I see naturism as a way to experience life in one's natural state, which by definition includes hair wherever it grows. I do make an exception for occasional face-shaving and haircuts (wish I didn't), but otherwise, I let it all grow. And I get it -- people make personal choices about their appearance to feel more like themselves. The thing is, I think there's more to be gotten out of not automatically indulging those urges to control. For me, that's what nudism/naturism is about: resisting the habit of wearing clothes in order to be acceptable.

This post was edited

Any sort of body modification (hair and beard shaving, jewelry, tattoos, full tans and even tan lines) always seem to trigger some sort of "You're not really a naturist!" reaction. I don't worry about it much. I figure that each person is trying on a sort of persona to see if it fits them. Can you be a naturist while wearing an ear stud? Well, if having that stud is somehow important to your self-image but you don't obsess about it, I'm down with it.

The trouble with tattoos, of course, is that they're not really very reversible. But I'm hip enough to see that a tattoo on a person signifies what that person was once upon a time, when the tattoo was applied. It may not be an indication of who that person is now.

This post was edited