RE: Nudist have Bill of Rights...Which are..............

Good fences make good neighbors.

This post was edited

Good fences make good neighbors.Well said. I could not have said it better myself. I know when I reached the third post I was thinking the very same thing- the best way to keep them from complaining is by making sure they can't see it without some form of out-of-the-ordinary-effort. Walking in their backyard and glancing over the fence is normal. Erecting a ladder to look over the privacy fence is not. Waving hello to you and yours while watering the flowers is normal. Crawling through the bushes to get a peek is not. I learned that myself years back at a place I was renting. A couple caught a glance of me in my yard while they drove past. The only way they could see for sure "anything", is by stopping in the middle of the road (no pull offs) and crawling through the bushes. Anddddd, wah lah! They video taped me naked as a jay bid! And they turned that over to the county sheriff who, after viewing it with a sgt. I personally knew, wrote them both tickets. Voyeurism/invasion of privacy, trespassing and impeding traffic on a private roadway. Long story behind it really, but essentially they left me alone and went back home with their pride bruised.

This post was edited

There seems to be a discrepancy with regards to suburban living and the law. In rural areas, you can expect a degree of privacy and are given that by the separation anddistances between homes. In suburbia ... we live on top of one another, not my idea of a perfect place to live but ... we compromised. We have only one real neighbor, the people next door. Yes we have neighbors across the street but only one neighbor where their property abuts ours. We are in a single story home. We lived in a two story prior to this one and it was time to stop going up and down the stairs. The home next door is two story. Our previous neighbor knew of our lifestyle, respected us and waved and smiled when he'd see me walking about or doing different things. We now have new neighbors. There is one window that isn't quite obstructed enough to give us complete privacy from this one neighbor. I wonder; why is it okay for them to look down upon our backyard and we have to abide by some archaic rules and laws but if I sit on my roof and look down upon their backyard while they are in the hot tub ... I could be considered, peeping. Why isn't it the other way around when they peep into my backyard from their 2nd story window? We've take measures to obstruct that window's view but it'll take another year before the tree's large enough to do that. In the mean time, we are working on measures to increase the height of the fence between us to at least 6ft.

This post was edited

Please be advised that the police do not always know the laws. If you havea Law School in your area, call the Law Library. They'd be happy to look up public indecency or indecent exposure.

This post was edited

We live in a residential area of Jersey City. There are 16 two story houses per acre. The houses are on full basements. As a result, even the first floor windows have a view over our 6 foot fence. Our lot is 25 feet by 100 feet. The yard is 25 feet by about 40 feet.
Bob

This post was edited

I asked a very experienced litigation attorney friend of mine who is licensed to practice in Florida and Nevada. In urban areas and some rural areas, if a neighbor or passerby can readily see the naked person from a window, a public road or property, while inside a car passing by, etc...... then the naked person is subject to indecent exposure statutes. Of course this does not apply to designated nudist areas.
And no state or local municipality gives a flying f**k about the "Nudist Bill of Rights" in an area not designated as nudist.

This post was edited
RE: Is It Legal To Be Nude In My Backyard?

Artemisia brings up a good point and most likely one that I WILL follow from now on. Like a couple people here, I enquiredas to thelegality of being nude in my backyard but got no response. I think, with all we've tried to do to give us the privacy we needed and want ... if the cops come to my door, I'll meet them dressed, be polite and then show them what I've done to give us the privacy we wanted. Furthermore ... I will tell them I had no idea that it was illegal to be naked in ones own backyard and I will be more careful in the future. I would, however, like to know who complained so I can apologize and then I will go and talk to those neighbors...if they give me a hint of who snitched! LOL

This post was edited

Ignorantia juris non excusat or ignorantia legis neminem excusat
(Latin for "ignorance of the law does not excuse" or "ignorance of the law excuses no one") is a legal principle holding that a person who is unaware of a law may not escape liability for violating that law merely because he or she was unaware of its content.

Being stupid is never a legal defense, as you will be told as you are taken away in handcuffs.

This post was edited

Thanks Thomas ... in the future ... I'll be sure to consult you before I post!

This post was edited
RE: The Legality Of Being Nude In One's Backyard?

Here's a scenario for you:I'm leaning naked againsta porchsupport on the side of my house taking in the fine morning air. You'reon a walk accompanied by your 200 lb. English mastiff. In a moment of intestinal discomfort, the dog decides to use my lawn as drop zone.I have to watchyour God-awful monsterassume his awkward squat and push five pounds of processed Alpo out on my grass... sure, nothing obscene about that... but thenyou can turn around, seeMr. Winky looking back at you,and have me carted off for "indecent" exposure! Where's the equity in that! (Sorry if any of you were eating brownies, etc.)

This post was edited