Introductions

What is the best way to strike up a conversation with someone on a nude beach without coming across as creepy? How do you know if people want to be left alone or are opened to people talking to them? I'm super paranoid that I will annoy or bother people just trying to relax. I don't want to be "that guy"...

This topic was edited
RE:Introductions

Who do you want to strike up a conversation with? A man or a woman? Young or old? Usually it is easier to strike up a conversation with either a couple or an older man. Women will join in once they figure out that you are 'normal' and not a creep. You will also need a thick skin as there are many nasty people on the beach too - both men and women. Guys will also get really jealous if you are the life of the party talking to a bunch of women and will try to crash your party. I once had this happen but the women that I was speaking with were French and so we talked in French. The guys had no clue! Another time my G/F and I were at the beach and a guy who was in a wheelchair just wanted to be near someone and hang out - not even talk. So many people on the beach were so nasty to him and so I invited him over to join us and we all had a great afternoon. He was a really nice guy and just wanted to be around friendly and normal people - not the beach nasties!

Just be friendly, outgoing, and able to talk about anything and everything and you will do fine. Whatever you do - DO NOT STARE! DO NOT CREEP!!!

This post was edited

Since my wife isn't into nude beaches, I always go by myself. So I get kind of bored and think it would be interesting to talk to other people. Since I'm married I'm not trying to "find a date" and don't want to come across as that. So who do I want to talk to? I guess couples, old or young.

Thanks for the response.

This post was edited

I think that the introductions should be made on the same level as any other social engagement like a party, although it should be pointed out that some of the people you see in situations like a nude beach don't see it as a venue for social interaction. They'll be the ones pretty much ignoring the rest of the people there.

But there are ice-breakers. If you saw that they came in a car with out-of-state plates, and you have some connection with that state, you might introduce yourself, state that connection, and ask where they were from. If they're expressing an interest in something they're seeing, like a boardsailor or a yacht off-shore, you might comment on that. Their very proximity to other people, on a beach where there's plenty of room for people who want to be alone, might be an indication that they want to socialize.

But you should be respectful of their privacy if they wish that.

This post was edited

How would you do it in any other public place? - Do the same thing when nude.

This post was edited

Once you start conversations, you may be surprised to find how many married men or older men who lost their spouses are in the same situation as you and want nothing more then 'normal' conversation. There are so many things to talk about - gardening, restoring old cars, home repairs, trips, etc, that you will never run out of topics to start conversations with.

This post was edited

I am an introvert. I prefer not to talk to people. However, when I'm out in public, I can improve my level of comfort by being the one who starts the conversation. I do this in a number of ways. One of the most successful is to ask a bizarre question that makes the other person think a bit and/or laugh.

I was in a campground walking past a couple of guys who were sitting near their campfire. I asked, "Do you suppose it bothers the other trees when you burn their friends right in front of them?" One of them said, "YES! And that's why we do it."

In the grocery store: "I wonder how the box of Post Raisin Bran feels about being right next to a box of Kellogg's Raisin Bran. Do you think it's ok with that?"

In almost every case, a light-hearted conversation ensues -- lasts for two or three volleys and is over. I don't feel threatened by the possibility that they might start a conversation with me and they think I'm outgoing and gregarious.

It doesn't always work out that well, but it's never ended in disaster.

Maybe try something like:
"Do you think the sun's feeling are hurt when we use sunscreen?"
"Do you think the waves know they're about to crash and die?"
"What do you think those seagulls are talking about?"
"I really hate it when the seagulls get together and start taking about me."

If the person takes the bait and responds, then go with it. If not, try someone else.

This post was edited

I am an introvert. I prefer not to talk to people.

You come across as very engaging and hospitable (NYE party) to prefer not to talk with people.

This post was edited

It is a paradox.I am an introvert. I prefer not to talk to people.You come across as very engaging and hospitable (NYE party) to prefer not to talk with people.And I recognize my need for human interaction -- even if I don't want it.

I have talked with other introverts. Seem we have learned to put on an extrovert face when out in public.

This post was edited

As an introvert, I like mensasnem's approach! My worst problem is coming up with the right line three hours later. Usually, in the moment, I just fall back on a smile and a 'Hi!' and see if it goes anywhere from there. Occasionally I can get more creative in the spot. A few minutes of pleasant conversation is nice if that's what comes of it, and that's as much as I'm looking for.

I find older guys to be more approachable than the younger ones, while for any female making eye contact us a good start.

This post was edited

Looks like we have something in common, my 3 best friends are Me, Myself, and I. Sometimes the wife is mixed in there, but often #4 ;-) Others only seem to come around when they want something.

I am an introvert. I prefer not to talk to people. However, when I'm out in public, I can improve my level of comfort by being the one who starts the conversation. I do this in a number of ways. One of the most successful is to ask a bizarre question that makes the other person think a bit and/or laugh.I was in a campground walking past a couple of guys who were sitting near their campfire. I asked, "Do you suppose it bothers the other trees when you burn their friends right in front of them?" One of them said, "YES! And that's why we do it."In the grocery store: "I wonder how the box of Post Raisin Bran feels about being right next to a box of Kellogg's Raisin Bran. Do you think it's ok with that?"In almost every case, a light-hearted conversation ensues -- lasts for two or three volleys and is over. I don't feel threatened by the possibility that they might start a conversation with me and they think I'm outgoing and gregarious.It doesn't always work out that well, but it's never ended in disaster.Maybe try something like:"Do you think the sun's feeling are hurt when we use sunscreen?""Do you think the waves know they're about to crash and die?""What do you think those seagulls are talking about?""I really hate it when the seagulls get together and start taking about me."If the person takes the bait and responds, then go with it. If not, try someone else.

In the grocery store; So you come here to get bread too ;-)

This post was edited