RE:Your Definition of Nudism.....

I am in France. Nudism is like naturism: living naked without sexual orientation. However, there are differences. Naturism is the practice of nudity in common with respect for everyone and the environment, with a spirit of tolerance.If we can not practice this nudity all year, the naturist spirit, it remains. Nudism can be practiced alone like living naked at home: it is sometimes what some naturists do when it is not possible to do otherwise. To put pictures of oneself naked on a site like this one is a form of virtual naturism because we share a nudity with others.

This post was edited

My definition of nudism/naturism doesn't include sexuality. It's about doing things I would do anyway, but without clothes whenever possible because it's usually more comfortable. Simple, really. :)

US, by the way.

This post was edited

Nudism is a social convention under which one behaves, unclothed, as if one were clothed.

Naturism is that, and more - a shared sense of openness to / connection with the environment.

Why? Start with a better question - why not? Hiding the body habitually takes effort, and has an emotional cost.

United States

This post was edited

Its interesting that we often get involved in discussions about semantics. Asking what is a nudist is like asking what is a fish, except fish dont define themselves. Those of us who consider ourselves to be nudists surely have a variety of reasons for doing so. We all have our own idea of what the qualifications may be.

Merriam-Webster defines nudism as the practice of going nude especially in sexually mixed groups and during periods of time spent at specially secluded places, which must have been written by someone who knew very little about the subject.

There are some people who we would consider nudists who object to that term and dont think of themselves as nudists. In this mix you also have others like swingers, who may masquerade as nudists, but nudists generally dont approve of promiscuous sexual activity and prefer to avoid them.

There are no strict definitions here. Its more a matter of personal opinion.

This post was edited

USA, Midwest, Naturist.

First, I think of myself as a naturist rather than a nudist. It may be a fine line, but it's not about the nudity, rather a way to feel a higher degree of freedom. It's as if as if I am casting aside the materialistic world, with all its confinement, expectations, and judgement.

Then I start to think about answers to your questions with a different spin; if it was an acceptable hobby, rather than something done nude. I started thinking about my friends who were an average musician, artist, or other enthusiast.

So, being completely honest, tell us what YOU believe the definition of nudism is.

I have a friend who plays several instruments who has a home studio. He probably spends most of his non-day-job time in his home studio writing songs, playing piano or guitar. He plays in various bands evenings and weekends. It's just a bit more than a hobby for him.

I'm thinking about another friend who started skateboarding in high school. Eventually, he became so wrapped into it, it became a lifestyle. All his friends were boarders, in the winter at the slopes on their snowboards, in the summer at the skate parks. He lived in California for a time surfing. Vacations and trips invariably involve boarding.

Nudism isn't any different than my musician friend, except while he marches to the home studio, the nudist is casting aside their clothing. Like my friend the skateboarder, it's a lifestyle. It's a preference to be without clothing whenever and wherever possible.

Why do you go nude?

People like their hobbies and lifestyles for different reasons. I like art because I have some talent, but it's also something relaxing I enjoy. I was a photographer because I had friends and relatives interested in it, and enjoyed the camaraderie. Same with music, it was a blast to get together with other musicians and jam. Interestingly, my musician friend still has to answer questions from people wondering why he still writes and performs music even though it barely augments his musical expenses. Its his passion, it is part of him.

We need these things to express ourselves and feel freedom we don't normally experience in the day in and day out tasks of survival in the constraints of the social and economic norms. Ive thought about it a lot over the years, mind you, but still have no complete idea. When I was a youth I thought it was a deviance, It wasn't until art school that I realized others shared this, and even embraced it.

What are you hoping to achieve from it?

People may have different reasons for their hobbies. The artist enjoys the quiet time and meditative effects. A cook enjoys food and enjoying the positive feedback from friends when serving up a tasty meal. When I worked part time at an art museum, it was nice to socialize with people who had similar interests.

On a personal level, Id like to free myself from some of the lingering social anxiety and self-esteem issues Ive dragged along with me in life. I'm still self-conscious; even in situations where nudity is acceptable. I better enjoy it now, because I don't think theres any clothing optional assisted living.

Or from this (or other) web site?

I know a kid who's interested in WWII. He loves tanks, and is a walking encyclopedia on different types of tanks. He might look at websites about tanks, find others who might want to discuss the things, and may look for clubs that partake of war gaming or visiting museums. Hes can find meet-up opportunities to meet WWII veterans, lectures on holocaust survivors and dreams of one day visiting Europe.

Not everyone in real life is going to satisfy his social requirements. His parents feign interest simply because they're his parents. His school pals are interested in other things. The WWII site offers a way to connect virtually with others.

Just like the kid, TN is like a stepping stone to actually socialize, even virtually, with people who share the same proclivity.

Do you believe it is sexual or a means for sexual gratification?

People often asked me things like this when I went to life drawing sessions. I usually told them I wasn't interested in the unclothed model any more than a doctor. It's about light, dark, form and line. Polishing the craft more than anything. After that, it can be about showing the work, and viewing the work of others. Yes, there is some exhibitionism and voyeurism involved with lots of hobbies (if you want to call it that).

Naturism and nudism may for some include tendencies for exhibitionism or voyeurism, but I'd surmise most don't see it sexually.

Just my opinion, love reading what others think.

This post was edited

It sounds like this ground has been covered, but Ill weigh in anyway.

My definition is simple: its recreational activities done without clothes on.

There are all sorts of other things people like to add, like the ever-boring argument about the difference between nudism and naturism. It doesnt need to be much more than that.

This post was edited

I would define "nudism" as the state of being comfortable in your own skin, and preferring to be nude when given the choice between being nude or being clothed. It doesn't matter whether you're with other people or alone, or whether you're out in the woods or in your home.

I would define "social nudism" as the state of being comfortable while in the company of other people who feel as you do. It can be at a clothes-free resort, a nude beach, or simply with other nudists in their home or your home.

I would define "naturism" as the desire to spiritually connect with the natural world by exposing your body to it and feeling things like sunlight and breezes and the sounds and smells of nature without being encumbered by clothes.

Consider an indoor dance at a clothes-free resort, listening to dance music pouring out of an amplifier. That's a nudist environment, but not a naturist environment.

There's a couple I go camping with from time to time. I met them at a nudist resort, where we were all nude. I've subsequently camped with them in public campgrounds where we are all clothed. They're not any less "nudists" because they are clothed. It's just we had no choice but to be clothed in that public setting, and it made more sense to be clothed anyway because it was cold outside.

Understand that these are my personal definitions, and may not coincide with those of others.

This post was edited

A fish in the water ain't thirsty.
Nothing about clothes is hard-wired related to clothes. It's all learned.
Naked is a state of without. A naked desert landscape.
Nude is a state of something taken or missing or made empty. A denuded jungle hill.
We're born naked and become nude.
Nudism=a distinctive practice, system, or philosophy related to removing one's clothes
Not being much for isms, I prefer to just consider my relationship with clothes as casual, an on/off relationship.

This post was edited

A fish in the water ain't thirsty.Nothing about clothes is hard-wired related to clothes. It's all learned.Naked is a state of without. A naked desert landscape.Nude is a state of something taken or missing or made empty. A denuded jungle hill.We're born naked and become nude.Nudism=a distinctive practice, system, or philosophy related to removing one's clothesNot being much for isms, I prefer to just consider my relationship with clothes as casual, an on/off relationship.
Mostly off?

This post was edited

My definition.

Im a textile with a better tan who needs to wash their clothes a lot less.

I didnt find, or lose god. Im neither more nor less spiritual, like my sex life, like my coffee consumption is much the same. My morals did not change,

If I could point to any change it would be an increased respect for people, especially women who embrace naturism. It takes courage for that first step.

This post was edited