Do you have a pet peeve?

Pet Peeve:
Those that say Congrats instead of Congratulations.
Congrats is a slang contraction of the real word congratulations.
Would you say Condoles to someone who has lost a loved one?
Do not congratulate someone if you can't be bothered to finish the word?

This topic was edited
RE:Do you have a pet peeve?

A big one for me is when I ask someone how FAR it is to someplace, and they say "about 2 hours"(or some other time reference). Two hours is a measurement of TIME not DISTANCE, which is what I was asking about. I did not ask how long does it take to get there, but rather how far away is it. I have yet to figure out how to measure distance with a timepiece, as that is all relevant as to rate of travel speed. There could be a huge difference in travel distances in two hours depending on if you were walking, running, on a skateboard, on a bicycle, in a car, or flying a helicopter or airplane, or on a commercial airliner. If they were to say, two hours at 40 MPH, 60 MPH, or 75 MPH, then I could quickly do the math and come up with 80, 120 or 150 miles for that same two hour time span. When I build something, and need to cut my material to a specific length, I use a tape measure NOT a clock to find the correct length, otherwise nothing will fit right when it comes time to do the assembly or fit it into place. I measure distance in inches, feet, yards or miles, not seconds, minutes, hours or days.

This post was edited

One that bothers me is the use of a single-word spelling for verbs that used to be a phrase, back-formed from the related noun and therefore permitted by spell check. This is especially common with internet terms. One used to "log in" to a web site. There is a related noun, "login", to which ordinary rules of English apply - accent on the first syllable, as is typical of nouns; one can have multiple logins, pluralized as usual. But we now see a verb "to login" - "Please login to view this page." Is this really to be pronounced with the accent on "log"? And will one say "Thank you for loginning" or "You have logined"? Well, no, the new verb has to be split to produce "logging in" and "logged in". (Doesn't it?) Maybe this will become the new grammar, but it's odd to watch it sneaking in.

This post was edited

I used to have one but it got too expensive to keep it exercised and healthy...

This post was edited

I used to have one but it got too expensive to keep it exercised and healthy...

Thanks, very funny.

I have decided my irks are better invested in things I can do something about. I work with folks who have trouble with there, their and they're. That said I am amazed that anybody could remain interested reading through Eats, shoots and leaves. I was bored by page 6, and quit there (or was it their?).

This post was edited

I hate redundancy. The two I hear most often is "where we're at" for where we are, and "at that point in time" for at that time or at that point. I can also cringe at the improper use of I and me, he and him, she and her.

This post was edited

I think it is annoying for people to respond to a Thank You with No Problem.

This post was edited

I think it is annoying for people to respond to a Thank You with No Problem.

Indeed! It's seems to be the young person's "you're welcome," as if they were never taught the phrase. Occasionally, if I'm in a mood, I'll respond ... "I didn't realize a Thank you for something nice you did was actually a problem!" These young people look at me like I'm nuts! :DDDD

This post was edited

yes, akin to andy's comment.
when I go to a restaurant and tell the server, I'll have . . . and he/she says, "No Problem".

I always think, "it shouldn't be a problem, . . . for you to do your job!"

This post was edited

My pet peeve is when I see some guy in his 30's , with his jeans half way down his butt and some plaid boxers hanging out.
Take em off or put em on or grow up Damnit!
But then again I had people tell me to cut my hair in the 60's.
To each his own I guess!
All I know is there better not be crap next to the coffee pot in he morning if I'm gonna make it, and if you used the last paper towel...........
Just sayin!

This post was edited

One of my Pet Peeves are people who say "Just sayin". What does that even mean? "Just askin?

This post was edited