RE:Terminology *Bisexual*

I'm confused as why a label is needed.

This post was edited

I agree with nudistdad: "I do believe that it's getting to the silly stage with multiple choice descriptive classifications."

It's a bit like the artificial construct of ethnicity. If I like eating pizza, does that make me Italian? How long has the term bisexual even existed? Not very long. The term homosexual didn't come into being until the 1860's at the dawn of the industrial revolution and a blink in the history of humankind. It's not that homosexuality didn't exist until then, but the shift came in viewing it as an identity rather than just a behavior. It's kind of like being right dominant. I'm not very fluid with my left hand, but if my right hand is not available I wipe my ass with my left hand, I don't consider it an identify shift.

I believe in only one sexuality for men: masculine. I believe that mankind's and especially men's greatest gift to survive and evolve is based on adaptabilty to changing environments. That's why I don't give the sexual spectrum much credence. It's more a sexual matrix where sexuality is defined by biology, relationship and bonding. I see homosexuality as natural and a societal need that men without children contribute to the survival of a tribe. The labels we use today may help us develop authenticity, and they certainly help others to categorize us, but I don't think they help me personally.

So sexual prefixing is getting silly. I love the sun on my naked body but don't need to come out as solarsexual. However, I honor others' identities as they wish. If someone has sex with a man and a woman, calling it bisexual or good at multitasking is their call.

In regards to gender orientation, I'm evolving to accept and honor however a person chooses to define theirs. Is it a threat to my children or society if someone enters the "other" bathroom? Well, it's a bigger threat if they have to shit and piss all over, either figuratively or literally.

Human sexuality is a beautiful, unique gift and each sexual fingerprint is different from the rest. If we survive as a species without aging out or killing each other, it's serving its purpose, isn't it?

This post was edited

[quote
Human sexuality is a beautiful, unique gift and each sexual fingerprint is different from the rest. If we survive as a species without aging out or killing each other, it's serving its purpose, isn't it?

Well said! I'm getting very tired of labels. No need to put folks in a box that defines them.

This post was edited

Why all the need for labels, straight sex, gay sex, bi sex. In the end you are having sex with the partner if your choice, that is all. It is sex, irrespective of your gender or their gender.
I acknowledge the desire for terms such as gay, bi, straight etc in terms of sexuality but when it comes to sex then it is sex full stop. No need to label it.

This post was edited

As a world, we have a long way to go before we embrace tolerance and ditch these old-fashioned attitudes.

There you go. Dreaming again. All I can say is that we seem to be approaching that ideal world, with baby steps. There have been setbacks, with religious fundamentalists trying to drag us back to medieval times, but still and all, we're closer to that world than we were five hundred years ago.

This post was edited

To be honest, I'm not sure what I am in terms of sexuality (think that's spelt but hey) My wife claims to be straight but she's Polish and I think she's afraid to come out as the Polish are very hostile towards anything that isn't, well, Polish. Me, I think I'm very curious, bi curious whatever that means. Shouldn't it be gay curious?

This post was edited

I have known I was bisexual since I was young, probably as early as 10-11. It is only recently that I started going by the term queer. I feel that much better fits me regardless of who I am in a relationship with

This post was edited

Looking back on this post that started a year ago, I realize I was stupid in not getting the OP's point that sex can either be either homosexual/gay or heterosexual/straight depending on the gender of the two individuals. I believe my block came from confusing behavior and identity which is a result of how emotionally loaded sexual terms are in society. I call myself right handed but have no qualms picking up something witih my left hand withhout challenging the right handed identity. Why? Because there's no dominant hand phobia in my society, but there is homophobia. In that way, I respect the OP's point to call sexual behavior for what they are: gay or straight.
Identfinying people with sexual pronouns is something I have a harder time with. I accept other's definition of themselves even as I question the need for them. I prefer to think of men's sexuality in a broader context: masculine. My definition of masculine doesn't have a spectrum, a macho scale or body hair count. It stems from having external gentalia, whereas women's is internal. In this regard I see men's sexuality and by extension as primarily externalized, whereas a woman's is more internalized. This is not absolute, for men and women have aspects of both.
This view makes me consider sexuality a social construct, though I am still evolving in seeing gender as fluid. which is a separate issue. I recognize some men are truly bisexual in their attraction or ambidexterous in their hand coordination. Outside of the realms of gender fluidity, I accept that sex as an act is either heterosexual/straight or homosexual/gay. However, with my view sexuality as a spirit, and by extension an identity, fails to be confined to silos or labels. I'll respect it all for what it is: a gift of something greater then me, from a higher power called God and many other names, and it's all good.

This post was edited

I get the OP's point that sex is either straight or gay depending on the gender of the partner. Sexuality is something different. A straight person will only want sex with the opposite gender and a gay person will want it with their own gender. A Bi person wants both. My mantra is "why cut out half the population when I can be friendly with everyone?"

This post was edited

I couldnt care less what peoples sexual preferences are. Its their business not any of mine.Its also got nothing to do with preferring to sunbathe without clothes.

Dont often quote myself, but it says it all really.

This post was edited