Swimming, back in the day

I remember nude swimming, but wasn't aware of the men/women double standard, or of how frankly the nudity was taken:

This topic was edited
RE:Swimming, back in the day

Fascinating piece of history.

This post was edited

I was old enough to be going to our school system pool at the time of the newspaper article, but our swimming lessons and open swims were coed and we all wore suits. The surprise for me here are the posed for pictures with naked guys and clothed gals. Now that I've had chances to swim nude, I look back wishing we were less prudish in our neighborhood.

This post was edited

It's funny that it was common for men to be nude in that times. Today it's the other way round. A nude man in public would have much more problems than a nude woman.

This post was edited

Once some one of my colleagues born in the 80'smade a comment about the lack of modesty among the older men in his gym's locker room. I replied that it probably was because they grew up in a time when men and boys routinely swam nude in the company of other males, They acted like they had never heard of this before. This surprised me because I would have expected that their fathers who were in my age range would have mentioned it to them at some point.

This post was edited

I wish I could shed more light on the origin of the photos. I picked them up from a blog post by an English-speaking man who lives in Austria. He says they're not Austrian. I'd guess that the men's and women's teams did not swim together. In one of the photos, it's plain that each team is posing with its own coach at the end of the row. The hairstyles would date it to the 1960's, western Europe or the anglo world.

This post was edited

Steven that is so true that artical could of been written i the local paper where i grew up that was exactly how it was just the boys had the afternoon and girls in the morning. That was how i learned how to swim and we loved it especially the free hour after.

This post was edited

I don't think the pictures were photoshopped or changed and have seen many vintage shots similar to these. At that time "modesty" for men was that they neither preened nor were shy. My understanding is that much had to do with mandatory military conscription of the era, where men had to be prepared to live as men among men without comfort or privacy. I saved some old pix from a swimming blog that went offline which I'll try to share.

This post was edited

I'd like to be able to go naked at the indoor pools in my area. To bad society is forced to wear swimsuits that usually don't leave much to the imagination.

This post was edited

By nuderay:

I'd like to be able to go naked at the indoor pools in my area. To bad society is forced to wear swimsuits that usually don't leave much to the imagination.

A local municipal pool used to have a nude might every Saturday evening back around the nineties. I only knew as my sister had a part-time job at the tuck shop (concession stand) and was told she didn't have to work Saturday nights. The owners of the contract to run the stand took on that shift themselves! The pool doesn't seem to do that anymore.

This post was edited

Mark my words, before too long nudity will be illegal in a locker room and you will have to shower in shorts. You think I am joking, but I am not. I see the trend coming. Especially YMCA's that have multi generational clientele AKA kids as well.

This post was edited