RE:Representation of nudity in popular TV and film

I believe the real issue with the TV and film industries is that sensational sells tickets. If nudity were normalized, those industries would have come up with something else to fill that void. They've pretty much taken blood, guts, and gore to the limit -- to the point of having inadvertently normalizing them.

This post was edited

I only get the over the air TV. It has gotten so bad here, the pixel people have a full time job editing everything. Braless with perky nips, or too much wiggle and jiggle, to much side boob or cleavage. When working out of town I have seen some cable and it is just as bad.

Weather it is prudes or feminists fighting sexualization I don't know. But a lot of what they are editing is decades old and not edited before. The original version of Charmed will probably never make it to reruns, because of all the braless halter top scenes.

On the plus side of that they have been either pixling or editing out the blood and guts scenes.

This post was edited

There are actors who push for the normalization of the nude male body:Jeff BridgesViggo MortensenEwan McGregorAre three actors who work towards that end.

And all three are male. Are there any actresses who are so forthcoming? It would be a real pleasure to see any of them naked in a context that doesn't scream "sex" or the expectation of sex. And many of the older actresses don't have the fashion-model bodies they worked hard to preserve when they were getting young-women roles, and it would be good to see them as role models for women who don't have fashion-model bodies.

I'm thinking in particular of Carrie Fisher. When she was asked by George Lucas to reprise her role as Leia, she said that she wasn't going to the gym and wasn't going to have "work done." She said that she wanted to show Leia as a mature woman who aged gracefully, and that she looked like what Leia would look like 40-some years later. That's the sort of attitude we should all have, whether naked or clothed.

This post was edited

It only makes sense that they are male.And all three are male.They are pushing for the normalization of the nude male body. Mostly, this is in response to fact that female nudity is much more common on TV and in movies than is male nudity.

And that tide seems to be turning. There are Netflix series and HBO series that show plenty of full-frontal male nudity and essentially no female nudity at all.

This post was edited

There are Netflix series and HBO series that show plenty of full-frontal male nudity and essentially no female nudity at all.

Which is progress of a sort, I suppose. But until there is a parity of male and female nudity in an unsexualized context, we have a long way still to to.

This post was edited

It's hard for me to know if it's getting better or worse, mainly since I watch so little.

I do remember around 1980, one of the Australian TV networks had one or two news items on nudity, usually as the lighter spot at the end, following the weather report. One featured a parachute day and included a guy landing with only his parachute and sneakers, viewed front on. The other was at a beach but the only thing I recall was the female presenter, having been mostly off-camera doing vox-pops with beach goers, doing the end-of-report wrap behind a post-and-rail sign that obscured the 'right' bits while implying she was nude behind it. The sign-off was 'Seven National Nude' rather than 'Seven National News'. I think the reports were neutral-to-positive in presentation even if the reason for inclusion was tittilation.

This post was edited

Found this on You Tube where nudity is presented as normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfr5qIU5uvw&list=PL3cybkkOhhXsL3YW5z9OsjS5mgppti7FS&index=6

This post was edited