Weight loss?

Hey everyone,I'm trying to lose weight and man it's hard. Does anyone have any tips on good workout regimes or healthy eating?

This topic was edited
RE: Weight loss?

Im no nutrition gurru, but can suggest you stay away from white breads and sugars.. yes that includes pizza, and pastas.. specialy over eating late at night.
All the sugar in pop drinks is a killer.. greasy chips are worse than baked chips and snacks.. french fries and other fried foods are probably the biggest "fat people" maker in the americas..
If you simply stop eating that junk, you should lose a few pounds a week.. just dont forget to do some exercise, like ride a bike, walk, run or play a sport.. in my humble opinion, good health is making wiser food choices, and eating habbits.. Best of luck..

This post was edited

I'd agree with overexposed's foods-to-avoid list.
My own suggestion, in one word: COOK. Prepare your own food from simple ingredients. I see from your info that you probably have relatively limited access to a kitchen, and as a student you're plainly busy. But the simplest cooking takes little space or time, and simplest is best. Slice part of an onion, smash open and wash a head of lettuce, toss with vinegar, olive oil, salt. Boil pasta with the rest of the onion (ok, you can use whole wheat pasta) toss with some chunks of cheese and tomato, and/or sear some fish in a pan, splash in a few drops of water, quickly cover. Whole meal done in less time than it takes to drive back and forth to McDonalds. You get the idea. Revisit the leftovers for your next meal.
Never even think about manufactured calorie-bombs like canned or bottled beverages of any kind, chips, fries, ice cream (blend bananas, milk, ice - it's sweet without any sugar), or oversalted, fatty prepared entrees and restaurant meals.

This post was edited

Basically, you have to burn more calories than you're taking in to lose weight. Indeed it can be difficult.
I agree with most of the suggestions about food choices. In addition you need to up your cardio (e.g. treadmill,elliptical, biking, fast walking etc.). Bike or walk, when you can, rather than drive. Take the stairs rather than the lift or escalator. Alternate your cardio with some weight lifting for muscle toning. Try some yoga for strength and flexibility. Many places now have nude yoga, which is great.
While this sounds time consuming you can actually fit many of these things in with relatively small changes in your routine. Take it slow and remember it's a lifestyle change...not a diet. Good luck to you!

This post was edited

have a look at the Harcombe diet.. I have lost 3 stone in 3 months and don't feel like I have made any effort at all

This post was edited

What works for me. High protein low carb. Eat smaller portions and more often. Three meals a day with three snacks. It helps to keep my metabolism running all day

This post was edited

What works for me. High protein low carb. Eat smaller portions and more often. Three meals a day with three snacks. It helps to keep my metabolism running all dayWhen you're feeling hungry, you might just be thirsty. Remember to keep hydrated.

This post was edited

I have managed to get many pounds off by doing it gradually, slowly and changing eating habits.1) Drink more wter and more often2) take out all sugars and bread3 count calories - set the desired weight X 15 = calories you have to consume daily -- vegies + salads all you can eat ..watch the dressings use vinegar and paprika -- limit meats to abt 4oz a day -- avoid junk foods at all ... no mcdonalds, fried chicken etc4) Avoid checking the scale daily ... let a third person to keep track of weight reduction ... my doctor does thatI have done that and lost more tan 60 pounds oin about 5 months. I set my caloric intake at approx 2200 cal a dayI do not feel hungry and i am on trackCongratulations on losing that much in such a short time. You are doing everything right, but you can have a little more meat, just make sure there's no fat on it.

This post was edited

I agree completely with the posters who gave said you need to put in fewer calories than you eat. At the end if the day whatever "diet" you do it needs to result in fewer calories in than out. That can be achieved in one if three ways: eat less, exercise more but best of all do a bit of both.
For me one big help to achieving this is to keep a food diary with calories counted every single day. And weighing the food you're eating. It really focuses the mind on where those pesky extra calories are coming from. For me it was mostly overly generous portions rather than snacks between meals or really even the wrong foods. Although I have found that there are some foods that are high in calories and while I like them they seem too many calories to waste compared to other things I enjoy more, so eating sweet treats during the day needn't be completely ruled out as long as you remember to count their calories but for me I would prefer a slightly larger portion of dinner than a piece of chocolate during the day. I got a great app for my phone that helps me record my food and the calories, MyFitnessPal (I'm sure other apps are similar).
Finally as others have said think of it not so much as a diet as a new lifestyle. I suspect I'll be recording everything I eat for the rest of my life. Goodluck.

This post was edited

I have to shout out that I just weighed myself. I am under 200 pounds!!!! I am sure it is because of water, but at least the leftmost digit on the scale was not a TWO.One thought to add to the above posts, do vary your exercise and food intake. You body is so good at adapting to your workouts that the body will actually be able to do the same thing burning fewer calories. The experts may recommend cross-training to pull in other muscles into the workout, but it will have a great side-effect of burning more calories until the body "figures it out" and gets used to the different exercises.I imagine the body would also be able to get more calories out of each bit of food if you ate the same thing repeatedly. So change up your food too. I believe this is why people lose so much weight when they start a diet then plateau. I would not be surprised if you changed the diet you were on every 3 months that you would continue to lose weight.

This post was edited

Hey everyone,I'm trying to lose weight and man it's hard. Does anyone have any tips on good workout regimes or healthy eating?I'd advise a personal trainer. There's a fantastic online service I've seen 4 friends successfully use called AminoZ.But it's no quick fix. They help you with a healthy eating plan and exercise regime that fits you but will get results. The program is 12 weeks. There is heaps of supportYou just need to stay motivated and utilize the trainers experience.

This post was edited