RE:The churches views on nudism

Remember when this thread was about nudity and religon? I do.I'm not going to defend the Catholic Church, or any church, for the misdeeds that their elders have done. But it doesn't have much relevance to what this thread was about.

I understand what youre saying - my last reply was defending and substantiating my core point in my previous reply which can be summarised as pointing out the moral bankruptcy of the Roman Catholic Church. And the opinions of a morally bankrupt organisation no longer have moral value.

Am I throwing out the baby with the bath water as another reply mentions? If the metaphorical baby is core Christian teaching the answer is no, definitely not. But the bath water of the RC Church is rancid and must be thrown out if we are to care for the baby.

Im not without empathy and I too know good men who are priests and have been deeply pained and wronged by the betrayals of many of their colleagues and of the Vatican. The men Im thinking of are good people but lack the courage to follow the teachings of the Christ rather than a morally bankrupt institution. Their struggle to serve two masters is a cross to bear.

This post was edited

Woodsman wrote:
But it's all academic to me. My church is the woods, and the woods don't care if I'm as naked as every other creature there.

Yes, I remember that sticker on your camper.

This post was edited

nudeyooper wrote:
I have seen a crucifix of a naked Jesus and the Sistine Chapel ceiling does have nude figures painted on it. My memory suggests that John Paul II even wrote that nudity is acceptable, and I know of at least one priest who sleeps nude.

I wasn't thinking of Adam and Eve, but I'm sure there were a few other ones here and there. AFAIK, those were pictures of people being humiliated, in big panoramic scenes like Michelangelo's Last Judgment. And I've been reminded that there are gods and goddesses galore who are painted in the nude, and pictures of people bathing naked, although these aren't Church art. But are there any nude pictures in a church of ordinary people going about their business naked?

As for your priest friend, I'm glad he sleeps in the nude. And I'm sure he bathes in the nude. But does he do anything else nude, in the sight of other people? I'm guessing that the Church would frown on him, maybe to the point of unfrocking him for not having enough frocking on.

This post was edited

Im sorry, for the pain done by priest and the bishops. Jesus loves you.

This post was edited

To be fair, I think the church has never had anything against nudity , but it is more concerned with nudity being confused with sex. i know of a priest on this very site who is covered wit tattoos and is nude on his own in his room. I myself pray nude and nowadays participate in the online Mass nude in the privacy of my room . I find I'm less distracted than being clothed in church! Yes, even a sculpture on one of the facades of the Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona has the figure of Christ on the cross nude.The nudity is symbolic of His humaness and Divinity. Nudity has always been associated with divinity in many religions and many Christian saints are to have supposedly gone nude at some point of time. If we believe we are created in God's imagine and likeness what is it to be ashamed of in our natural state? The Catholic church has certainly gone through many upheavals and crises, but have still managed to survive] a few rotten apples among the clergy should not shake one's faith. At least we admit and acknowledge the wrong done.

This post was edited