Disagreeable Experience at the Gym Today

I was in the steam room -- nude -- naturally. Some guys came and went -- no big deal. Or so I thought.

I got reported before being nude in the steam room and on top of that, for being nude in the shower and not pulling the curtain closed.

I asked what was the problem with being nude in the steam room. I was told it was posted as one of the rules. I said, that must be new because it wasn't there before. I came out of the steam room, put on my swim short, which I had hung on a hook outside the steam room. I then read the rules. There's nothing in the rules about prohibiting nudity in the steam room and nothing about prohibiting nudity in the locker room in general. I was told I should only be nude when I was actually changing clothing.

I said, this is a men's locker room, there cannot possibly be any issue with being nude in a men's locker room. I was told it was indecent. I said, there's nothing indecent about my body and this is a men's locker room. I was told that people had complained about seeing me nude in the steam room and in the shower.

I said the proper response to such a complaint is to state that this is a men's locker room and one should expect to encounter male nudity in a men's locker room. And also that there is no rule prohibiting nudity in locker room and steam room.

I think I'm going to write a letter to the corporate office and express my concerns.

Genesis Health Club. Specifically the south club in Springfield MO.

Oh, I remember having a conversation with a male trainer. Don't know how the subject came up but I remember expressing my amazement that guys pulled the curtain closed when they took showers. I asked, what are they doing that they need that level of privacy while taking a shower in a men's locker room? I continued with, I'm guessing they're jerking off. Why else would they bother with the curtain?

The trainer looked aghast and said he'd be leaving the curtain open from then on and he would not be so concerned about covering up while in the locker room. Don't remember his name. Even so, he was an independent trainer; not an employee.

Anyone else have issues with Genesis Health Club? Is this a new thing? Never been a problem before.

This topic was edited
RE:Disagreeable Experience at the Gym Today

It's a locker room with showers and a steam room; it's not merely a changing room.

And it's never been a problem before.

This post was edited

I'm not hoping to be noticed. I'm just totally comfortable being me without any sense of shame in that regard. And who would see me in a men's locker room other than men -- who all have the same equipment and have seen countless sets. Nudity should be a total non-issue in men's locker rooms just as it has been for all of recorded history.

OK, so locker rooms have not been around that long, but men have been comfortable with other men (clothed or unclothed) for all of recorded history. It's not as if I'm expecting something unusual.

This post was edited

Youre not really expecting a logical explanation, are you? There is none!

Most people have the most bizarre and irrational attitudes toward nudity.

This post was edited

And, apparently, some people who claim to be nudists. Referencing back to conversation in this thread.

Youre not really expecting a logical explanation, are you? There is none! Most people have the most bizarre and irrational attitudes toward nudity.

I do understand the irrationality of textile thought. Just wondering when the locker room flipped the prude switch.

This post was edited

Certainly for those of us who grew up with the locker room being a naked space, the signal switch, with the same environment now carrying a different meaning, it's kind of disorienting. Like getting a ticket for not stopping on green.

This post was edited

Very much like that.
It's kind of disorienting. Like getting a ticket for not stopping on green.

This post was edited

I honestly believe that if the founding fathers of this country could have foreseen this change, they would have listed nudity as an inalienable right. But nudity was a total non-issue and is still a non-issue in the UK.

If Georgie had been going around having people arrested for nudity, they would have listed it in the bill of rights. It's my understanding that Spain has nudity listed among the inalienable rights in their constitution.
Its seems that even in a gender appropriated mens locker room social programming to feel disgust toward another man's nude body displayed is pretty strong now. Id like to change that myself, and I do strip completely without covering up whether anyones around or not. Your gym seems to have this consensus , odd and unreal as it is that men shouldnt be hanging out nude longer than it takes to put on fresh underpants. So consensus rules I guess . Thats a shame really, and a symptom of a sick society but thats old news. The steam room thing is such a joke tho! No where is it written ... then its ok to steam fully nude!!

This post was edited

Sounds like someone got their panties in a bunch. Ha! And your response about pulling the shower curtains tight to masturbate is spot on to accuse them of the "immorality" they associate with nudity. If they start throwing religion at you, I'm sure you'll have as good a response along the lines of nakedness being our original blessing. I feel sad for such people who must live with the shame and burden that no matter how hard they try, somehow, somewhere their epidermis is showing.

This post was edited

Oh brother!
Next thing you know, people will start complaining in hospitals that peoples babies are being born nude!

This post was edited

To me its quite simple. If you dont like being either seen naked or seeing other guys naked then dont go into a male changing room or sauna and steam rooms what is wrong with these people. Being naked is the most natural thing in the world And yes the establishment should have responded by saying its a male changing room where there will always be nudity.Get a grip .

This post was edited