Caught Hiking Nude

Hi ya'll, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share insight about nude hiking experiences on public trails, particularly in the California area. What was the general reception like to your being caught unclothed? Did the people you bump into along the way seem to mind? What are your strategies for mitigating encounters and preventing any incidents from occurring?

This topic was edited
RE:Caught Hiking Nude

The only nude hiking I've done was at resorts, so I can't comment on other places except to say that it's recommended that you bring some sort of wrap or shorts (if you're a guy) or a sarong (if you're a gal) so that you can cover up if requested to. From what I've heard, if you come across a ranger, you'll usually be just sent off with a warning, unless you're really being blatant about being naked in front of people with children.

I have camped nude in wilderness areas and just generally kept out of sight of other people.

This post was edited

I can only tell you what I have experience while hiking nude along a National Forest service road near Lake Castaic in Los Angeles County.

When I first started hiking their, I was very nervous and was constantly covering up if I thought someone was around.
In 2010 I did my first World Naked Bike Ride and this gave me the confidence to not worry about being seen nude in a non nudist location.

My first encounter came later that year when I was hiking back to the car and suddenly these two dogs came running up to me barking followed by the guy walking them. I did say I hoped my nudity did not bother him and he responded it made no difference to him.

Since then I have passed countless others and had only two very negative reactions.
Reactions normally range from stopping to talk to averting there eyes as we pass.
These encounters include three L.A. County Sheriff's Deputies who were responding to a report of someone illegally camping in the area. I put on my shorts to talk to them and they did check my ID but other than that no problem. In hind sight I think I could have stayed nude and it would have been OK.

As I have said over and over in many posts, I believe our fear of people being offended by the simple sight of a nude human is over blown. Yes, if you were to ask them if it is OK to appear naked in public they would probably say no, but if you were to ask if they personally had a problem seeing someone nude, if they answered honestly, they would say it was not a problem.

I hope you find an area where you feel comfortable hiking nude like I have.

This post was edited

The wife and I were hiking in Pennsylvania, She topless, me nude, when we came across another couple. I thought we covered before we were spotted, but that wasn't the case. They had the high ground on a hairpin turn, so they must have had a good view. We stopped to exchange pleasantries, and to give directions, the entire time the guy stared at my Wife like she was raw meat( newbies). We went our separate ways, thinking she was finished with topfree hiking, but not 100 feet later she pealed off her tanktop and continued walking. I always regretted getting dressed. I wish we had just stayed nude, but you never know.

This post was edited

I'm usually biking nude and always have gym shorts on handlebars. I can usually see 1/2 mi ahead and have only had to whip on the shorts a couple of times. The trails I use are rural and remote.

This post was edited

I have hiked nude and what a great feeling. I did a 5 mile hike on state owned land. I did not see anyone on this walk. I did another walk on this same trail and had shorts off and pulling shirt off when a guy on bike rode by. He said that's not what I wanted to see. I had my back to him when he came up on me so all he saw was my naked butt.

This post was edited

You know with things like Naked and Afraid on TV, which seems to be quite popular, I am less concerned about being seen in the mountains naked. That said, I have only come across people four times, and all four times I pulled on shorts. Two of those four times, after we exchanged pleasantries, I thought, I didn't need to do that. They wouldn't have cared. I have come across many clothed people when I have been hiking on a 2200 acre clothing optional property, but that doesn't really count. But it is a good feeling to be able to think that if they have a problem with my being naked, it's their problem, not mine. Not that anyone has had a problem. If they are there, they know they are going to see naked people.

This post was edited

I'm yet to dare to hike nude. I'd never be able to cover up in time and would probably be tripping over my shorts with just my ankles covered! Nearest I've got lately it's walking a beachside trail with my wife in her bikini (as commonly seen on any beach) and me in my small swimbrief (when almost all guys wear knee-length 'shorts'). A camp group in wetsuits with snorkels came the other way, so we just stepped off to the side. :-)

This post was edited

SSS, I too have never hiked nude but the idea appeals. Not aware of places around the Mornington or Bellarine Peninsulas where we would do this or in Victoria full stop. Sounds more a NSW or QLD idea, I think. SBN.

This post was edited

I'm yet to dare to hike nude. I'd never be able to cover up in time and would probably be tripping over my shorts with just my ankles covered! Nearest I've got lately it's walking a beachside trail with my wife in her bikini (as commonly seen on any beach) and me in my small swimbrief (when almost all guys wear knee-length 'shorts'). A camp group in wetsuits with snorkels came the other way, so we just stepped off to the side. :-)

I've been known to walk to the beach just in my swim briefs. People see me but don't care. Then if no one at the beach the briefs come off. Done that many times.

This post was edited

Where is this 2200 acre clothing optional site? That sounds great! Certainly sounds worthy of checking out!

I would like to know where this is, myself.

This post was edited