Wheelchair naturist

Hello everyone. I'm a wheelchair user and a longtime home nudist. This may seem a really weird and stupid question but are there many wheelienudiists around? I never hear about any or ever see any pictures or references about it.

This topic was edited
RE:Wheelchair naturist

With so much negative judgementalism connected to nudism - something mobility-challenged people commonly deal with as well - I feel that nudists with mobility problems are given higher respect in our clothing-free communities than in the general population. Society has started to embrace the individual who doesn't have the luxury of full physical faculties with special parking and bathrooms which are geared to assist those who deal with these issues. It seems to me that we in the nudist world are moving more quickly in the right direction.

White Tail Nudist Resort had a lovely member for many years who needed special assistance until he passed a few months ago. He predated me as a member, and the management made good strides in making more attractions at the resort much more easy-access for him and others. Items like chair lifts at both pools, ramps at one of the rental unit buildings, handicap-friendly block houses with showers, dishwashing stations and bathrooms, more recently adding push button door openers, and of course the requisite close-access parking spaces, have all have been nice additions. There are numerous members here who use canes, mobilized wheel chairs and other assists to make their lives easier. The more our resort looks into increasing accessibility, the better it feels and the happier we all get. It's a ridiculously happy place and the more the merrier should include EVERYONE!

There are many things that could be improved upon, but can't that be said about most anything? Will there be a chair lift installed when we get our new hot tub? Wheelchair accessibility into all the rental units will be very challenging because ramps are oftentimes near impossible to make happen given the specific circumstances. There are members here who rise to the occasion beautifully, so I'm hopeful.

Our chapel has been instrumental in helping some members by building access ramps at their personal residences. With our visitors aging, some more gracefully than others, accommodation for the ones who have special needs is growing nicely. With positive press for nudism and its attached fiscal growth, nudey tourism is bringing in more diverse people, and with that, the motivation for better access is increasing. Bring it on! We're all not getting any younger ~ and that's alright. Come, come all, and see us thrive!

This post was edited

I'm encouraged to hear how resorts are accommodating related to mobility issues. The best is that I didn't read the accommodations were focused on women wheelie nudists. Here at Midwestern resorts, you'd have first overcome the stigma of being an unchaperoned male before considering things like ramps and door openers, and I'm glad that's not relevant at the camps mentioned in this thread. Things are changing and opening up for the better!

This post was edited

I'm not yet in the wheelchair stage, I use a cane or walker. I haven't tried a beach yet until I find a walker with balloon tires. Generally traveling off-pavement is challenging at a minimum. I'll keep trying to get around alone, I do ok so, so far.

This post was edited

Here at Midwestern resorts, you'd have first overcome the stigma of being an unchaperoned male before considering things like ramps and door openers, and I'm glad that's not relevant at the camps mentioned in this thread. Things are changing and opening up for the better!

For the love of Christ Andy. Why are you still harping on this? You are a grown man, but acting like a spoiled rotten brat demanding to go where you are not wanted.

I read a post on TN from the manager of a resort (in GB I think). Long story short, they knuckled under and started letting all single men in. Pretty soon single women stopped coming, then couples stopped coming, then the single males stop coming because there were no women there. The resort about went belly up. And had to go back to the old rules and try to get the old customers back in the gate.

Maybe buy some land and start your own resort, and run it the way you want. From what I have read here you may start out coed, but will soon be male only. Not because of rules, but because women don't want to be there. So you would either go broke or end up with a gay mans sex club. It has all been explained here repeatedly if you are just willing to read and comprehend it.

This post was edited

Gordy wrote:

I read a post on TN from the manager of a resort (in GB I think). Long story short, they knuckled under and started letting all single men in. Pretty soon single women stopped coming, then couples stopped coming, then the single males stop coming because there were no women there. The resort about went belly up. And had to go back to the old rules and try to get the old customers back in the gate.

If it is predestined that all resorts that allow single women are going to end up like that, then we're doomed, because unaccompanied males seem to be in the majority at most of the events I've been to.

But I can take heart in the fact that even though males are in the majority there, and I am myself am an unaccompanied male, I haven't seen any of this bias in the places I've been to in California and Oregon. Granted, I am a card-carrying member of TNS and my wife and I are listed together on the membership card, so that may have deflected some of the ill will at the front office. But at least at the places I go, and at my non-landed club, that exclusion policy isn't in effect, and these clubs and resorts are thriving.

As I've posted in another thread, I don't know what the vetting policies were at that GB club you mentioned. But if it didn't include some requirement for membership in a national naturist society, and if it didn't have some sort of sponsorhip program, and didn't have a mechanism in place for weeding out those who were making trouble, then I can't be surprised at the turn it took.

But to get this thread back on track, my local resort at Laguna del Sol seems to be up on ADA compliance regarding ramps and access and such. And I have seen the occasional person in a wheelchair.

This post was edited

Here at Midwestern resorts, you'd have first overcome the stigma of being an unchaperoned male before considering things like ramps and door openers, and I'm glad that's not relevant at the camps mentioned in this thread. Things are changing and opening up for the better!For the love of Christ Andy. Why are you still harping on this? You are a grown man, but acting like a spoiled rotten brat demanding to go where you are not wanted.I read a post on TN from the manager of a resort (in GB I think). Long story short, they knuckled under and started letting all single men in. Pretty soon single women stopped coming, then couples stopped coming, then the single males stop coming because there were no women there. The resort about went belly up. And had to go back to the old rules and try to get the old customers back in the gate.Maybe buy some land and start your own resort, and run it the way you want. From what I have read here you may start out coed, but will soon be male only. Not because of rules, but because women don't want to be there. So you would either go broke or end up with a gay mans sex club. It has all been explained here repeatedly if you are just willing to read and comprehend it.

It all comes down to management enforcing rules of decorum. If management enforces the rules (even with long-time members), these issues don't occur. If management is lax, the morons take over. The worst abusers in my experience are long term members who are there without the wife and become complete jerks. Complaints fall on deaf ears because the establishment doesn't want to lose a long-time member.

The main place I went to in Colorado had no quotas, but rules of behavior were strictly enforced. There were seldom any issues, and while men usually out-numbered women, the ration wasn't too bad (60/40). The other place I occasionally went simply because it was closer did not enforce any rules (and the biggest jerk was the manager - place has since been sold and he is no longer there). People (even guys) would call ahead to see if he was going to be there that day and decide on that information whether to go or not.

Bottom line, good management will make you, bad management will break you.

John

This post was edited

i am not only a wheelchair user but also new to the nudist lifestyle

This post was edited

Does a wheelchair have a tendency to cast the person in a helpless/harmless light?

Before you get overly upset with me for suggesting any such thing, consider some other possibilities.

A nude 20-something or 30-something able-bodied man is probably assumed to be a sexual predator merely due to his age, sex, lack of clothing, and able-bodied status.

But the same man at 90 with a walker would probably not be seen as a sexual predator.

So, maybe it's not a huge shift, but I would think that a wheelchair would get you at least a bit of a pass.

This post was edited

Hello,
I have MS and use a variety of mobility options.
I recently attended a weekend hotel while using a walker. The other attendees were friendly, welcoming and helpful.
Another attendee helped me clean the snow off my car after the event ended.

This post was edited

But does it get you any sort of a "pass" when it comes to nudity.

This post was edited