RE:Male vs Female beachwear

I think that the difference stems from the fact that women's beachwear doesn't display when a woman is experiencing sexual arousal, whereas a Speedo can't hide an erection the way baggy shorts can. It's fear of a beachgoer seeing someone in a state of sexual excitement that drives the double standard.

Of course, we're so used to seeing women in skimpy garb everywhere in the media that it isn't likely to stand out as being egregious. But nearly naked men are a rarity, and we're not given much of a chance to get used to it.

This post was edited

Ok so lately everytime I go to the beach I ask myself the same question, all the girls these days wear practically nothing, a piece of string up their ass which barely covers the front and tiny bikini tops. But when a guy wears a g string or something equally as small he is laughed at and ridiculed? Yet every single girl under 30 is running around with their full ass out and is completely normal?

Perhaps it's because most of the guys cave at the prospect of being out of line with the fashion. If you want to wear a spandex brief suit, wear one. Thongs are a little more "iffy" on US beaches for either sex, but if you're on a beach where women are wearing thongs, then go ahead and wear one (I do). For lap swimming, I wear a spandex brief suit. If others laugh or ridicule, they keep it to themselves. I swim much more comfortably in a briefer suit. But then I'm not looking to be attractive to a potential mate, I'm just there to swim. That may figure into some guys' choice of suit.

This post was edited

As a nudist for 20years and a swim breif wearer. Once was shy to wear them now it's just a normal thing to wear. Started out wearing tyr swim briefs then speedo. Now I've took a liken to my skippy 1.5wj loose aussiebums. No inner linings at all goes to the public beaches with confidence. No on has any issues. My buddies wife requested them every time we go to the beach together.

This post was edited

I couldn't agree more that American men's swimsuits (boardshorts) look absolutely ridiculous. I wear "long" speedos to the hotel pool and then take them off to reveal traditional swim speedos. If there is no one else at the hotel pool and expect that no one will be using it, I will take off my swim speedos to reveal my thong underwear. Since the color is black, it could come across as swimwear.

This post was edited

I have always wore speedo type swim briefs when I could not be nude. I started when I was about 18. I have not entered water wearing anything more, be it at a beach, swimming hole, public or private pool since 1977. Back then ,I figured I would quit wearing them when I reached my forties since I thought that was too old to wear a speedo. Once I reached my mid 40's I was still in pretty good shape and was told I still looked good in a speedo. (see red speedo pic in my profile, I was 43 when that pic was taken. Once I hit 50, (pic standing by the pool) I still thought I could wear them and decided that since that is what I am comfortable wearing and hate wet pants clinging to my legs I would use that as incentive to keep in shape, so now at 63, I still wear them. My nude workout pic was taken 2 weeks after my 62nd birthday

This post was edited

I have always wore speedo type swim briefs when I could not be nude. I started when I was about 18. I have not entered water wearing anything more, be it at a beach, swimming hole, public or private pool since 1977. Back then ,I figured I would quit wearing them when I reached my forties since I thought that was too old to wear a speedo. Once I reached my mid 40's I was still in pretty good shape and was told I still looked good in a speedo. (see red speedo pic in my profile, I was 43 when that pic was taken. Once I hit 50, (pic standing by the pool) I still thought I could wear them and decided that since that is what I am comfortable wearing and hate wet pants clinging to my legs I would use that as incentive to keep in shape, so now at 63, I still wear them. My nude workout pic was taken 2 weeks after my 62nd birthday

Looking good. A great inspiration for sure.

This post was edited

In Australia, we (unfortunately) tend to follow American trends and baggy board shorts for men is one of them. I think there is truth in most of the reasons already posted here. It seems that it is more acceptable for (lap) swimmers to wear Speedos, but splashes or surf swimmers generally wear shorts.
What we would call Euro trunks (lycra wide-sided short shorts) look great on many guys but the trend never really took off here.
If I can't be naked, I have always worn Speedos. This is mainly for the comfort of not sloshing around in wet fabric.
I notice that most contributors here are older rather than younger. I wonder if, as we age, we are less worried about what others think of us.
As for the acceptance of increasingly briefer women's swimwear - Since reverting from the 70s/80s trend for topless beachgoing, costumes seem to be getting smaller again. I don't understand the (Kardashian) desire for outsized backsides, but that combined with a high-riding, butt-revealing g-string does nothing to attract me!
As long as we are comfortable in ourselves, and don't cave in to the pressure to conform, then I guess each should wear what s/he likes.
For me, it's no debate. Nude is always better.

This post was edited

As an Aussie, when I was at the primary and secondary school swimming pools and then the YMCA pool, in the 1950's and 1960's, Speedos and the like were almost mandatory. I was very shy, but tried hard to ignore the fact that I was incredibly skinny.
Fast forward many years, I was happy to take my kids to the beach wearing my red speedos as I had by then decided, who cares! As long as I am comfortable. I absolutely hate wet swim gear. Nude is the preferred option. Its waterproof, dries quickly and feels great!
Baggy swimwear is an oxymoron. So totally inappropriate at the beach.
The American basketballers started the rot. Prancing around the basketball court in their baggy long shorts looks ridiculous. Fashion then took over! However religion has also had a big impact. Must not see the male package in the sports wear!

This post was edited

The major factor here that keeps being forgotten is the fashion industry. Through media and advertising theyve made it so women should be sexy while guys should be athletic which people then strive to follow. They invest in psychology to help drive business. Note that most men are more likely to take a longer better look at a woman in a skimpy bikini than they do at a woman with loose large coverage or even a nude woman. Then they change the styles a bit through more coverage, less coverage, different colors etc. so everyone needs to buy a new suit. Society moving to nude acceptance would bankrupt fashion businesses so they will fight like crazy through advertising and even lobbying if necessary to control the publics perception of what is appropriate attire.

This post was edited

There's probably an aspect of the madness of crowds in that people allow opinions to be assigned to them rather than thinking for themselves and making their own conclusions.

High-waisted demi-thong bikini bottoms seem particularly incongruous as the waist is modestly covered by fabric while lower areas are not.

In times past, at least in Australia, there was a continual trend towards briefer costumes for both men and women, defying decency regulations, swimming curfews (only after-dark swimming permitted) and swimsuit inspectors measuring fabric depth around the hips. We got to the point where square-cut trunks (search for Max Dupain: "Bondi, 1939") or Speedo briefs were normal for the blokes while the ABC got a young hunk to model a low-rise tanga in 1977 for a vox-pop and generally got favourable reviews (YouTube: Do men look good in a string bikini? | Retrofocus).

Since then, men's beach fashion has gone backwards save for a few holdouts ( :-D ) with blokes in boardies being almost universal even as his girl tans in a skimpy string bikini, possibly with a thong bottom.

While others may occasionally object to the female attire (perhaps out of jealously), men seem to be more universally criticised for showing too much, even as all aspects of the female form is visible beneath the fabric. I wonder if some females would be more complimentary without peer pressure.

It can be a relief by comparison to head to the C/O beach where acceptance is the trend. Meanwhile, I'll try to ignore perceptions and wear what I prefer when hearing to a textile beach.

This post was edited